Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
S & B air kit on powerstroke 7.3 diesel >

S & B air kit on powerstroke 7.3 diesel

Notices

S & B air kit on powerstroke 7.3 diesel

Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S & B air kit on powerstroke 7.3 diesel

Have a 99 f250 with 7.3 Looking at the s&b cold air kit for this truck, has anyone done this filter housing?? Does it help with turbo lag and can you hear turbo whine?? THanks!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by 290enticer
Have a 99 f250 with 7.3 Looking at the s&b cold air kit for this truck, has anyone done this filter housing?? Does it help with turbo lag and can you hear turbo whine?? THanks!
you better off spending the money on a chip and exhaust,,makes a huge difference!!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered

i might eventually, but for now its a good upgrade, as far as power...it has all the power i need!! When it will spin tires with 10k pound boat in toe...bone stock truck, I can't complain!! powerstroke 7.3= torque monster!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Your best bet is exhaust first. Your engine is an air pump. You are just going to ingest more air requiring more fuel by going air intake first; hurting your mileage; and heating up your engine. You will be better off with exhaust first.

That kit looks much like a K&N filter element, and K&Ns are strongly disliked on www.thedieselstop.com . They don't filter well enough for the PSD.

I am running a True-Flow foam filter on my 7.3L, with exhaust and chip. I don't believe the True-Flow is made anymore though.

If you want to hear turbo spool, you need to delete the muffler. You will not really hear it on the intake side. You can remove the tin insulation off of the cool side of the turbo in on the driver's side of your engine compartment. I makes the engine slightly louder. I wish I had not done so now.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 290enticer
i might eventually, but for now its a good upgrade, as far as power...it has all the power i need!! When it will spin tires with 10k pound boat in toe...bone stock truck, I can't complain!! powerstroke 7.3= torque monster!
On a stock 7.3 the power is 275hp/525tq at the flywheel. At the rear wheels it will be something like 240/470, still good numbers for that motor.

I agree with Sydwayz(as usual lol) if you want more power first thing to do is get a stainless steel exhaust system. SS gets rid of more heat quicker than aluminum. Then you can get an aftermarket air fillter system. I had a True Flow XDI system on my Cummins and I felt the difference the first time I drove it so that's the one I would recommend, but be sure and check dieselstop for all the current add-ons for the 7.3.

Exhaust, air filter and intake manifold are the usual first three things to address on any diesel engine.

Last edited by Catmando; 12-24-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered

the s&b has a "wet" filter that you can clean as well as a disposable one too. Im sure the "wet" one is like a k&n. Whats wrong with the k and n??
Old 12-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The K&N does not filter well enough for the PSD. Hundreds of posts about how poor they are on TDS.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The K&N does not filter well enough for the PSD. Hundreds of posts about how poor they are on TDS.
Dodge boyz don't like them either.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered

no intakes ever. if anything upgrade to the rough service intake offered by ford. the 7.3 loves to dust turbos. i would never install any intake kit on any truck of my own. they are just out there to ruin your engine. and you will usually get less hp and torque with those damn things.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered

Default s&b

I Have a s&b intake on my duramax, it did give it more turbo whine, and i now have 156k on truck, I love the s&b intake awsome quality, I like having the ability to clean my filter on the road or anytime I think of it. without dropping 40 bucks for a new filter and heres the math 150,000 dvided by 10,000 miles = 15 filters x 40dollars = 600.00 My s&b was 250.00, if you service it properly they filter better than stock, clean them let them dry and use the proper oil I like the K&N aersol can, the red color you can see how much oil you are gettin on and if the whole filter is covered, I think most that people that have had problems with them dont service them correctly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.