Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax >

2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax

Notices

2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax

Old 01-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only thing I can say is my duramax has towed my big heavy race car hauler effortlessly for a few years now....without any issues(knock on wood) just hit 50k and the GM engines are still the same basic design that they started with...the fords are on the 3rd completly different engine in as many years, the dodge engines have been real good...the transmisions and the rest of the trucks have been their downfall from people I know who owned them...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink 2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
Not true, it's in addition to the DPF. Read this...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/LMLDuramaxc.htm

I don't know why anyone would budget 10 cents/mile. The system is designed to use about 5 gallons in 5000 miles. I just bought 5 gals. of DEF for $26 at Napa. It's only going to get cheaper the more it's used, too. However, that works out to about 1/2 cent per mile. It's really not that big of a deal.
Thanks, superb link
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Democrats VS: Republicans ? It's the principal ! Can I afford the mandated sur-charge of Urea ? I don't know...Probably.

However, at the moment, there are still a couple of options.

Next, as this group knows, Horsepower/Torque builds heat and effects design life. Therefore, as the manufacturers increase their horsepower/torque numbers out of similar cubic inch displacement, what is to be expected for/from durability.

At some point, everything, mechanical or electrical breaks/wears out. The jury is out as to when that will happen to those vehicles with increased performance numbers.

Is it possible, the auto industry needs sales today, tomorrow we will worry about pollution from blow-by, design life and residual value.

Society likes change and new ideas, I'm human, I do to !

However, I remain, Republican !
The diesel engine builders are responding to Federal pollution mandates and we and the environment will be better off because of it. Are the solutions the best they can do? No...that's why they are working on better ones. Here's what Cummins is doing;

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/d...ine/index.html

Hopefully the first engines will be available by 2015.

You being a Repub is not going to stop the advances in clean engine technology. You can ***** and moan about it all you want but it won't do a bit of good.

It won't matter which party runs the country. The future is clean diesel and gas engines, hybrids and electric vehicles, and the future cannot be stopped.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Heres a good assessment of what Ive been saying between the 2 11 3/4 tons we have.. Read page 6 and 7 as it breaks down the gearing between the Ford and GM between the 3.55 and 3.73 gears. What they fail to mention is that the Ford is also 400 pounds heavier. I love both of my trucks, but The Ford is a better suited for towing, control of load, comfort, steering control, linear brakes also nicer interior, larger rear leg room with features including sync....and it feels like a truck..the only disagreement is that the jake brake is better at stopping the load on the GM vs the Ford.

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/1...st/winner.html

Last edited by Jassman; 01-28-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

the only disagreement is that the jake brake is better at stopping the load on the GM vs the Ford.

Every test of the new Fords I've seen says the exhaust brake is not up to par with the other trucks. Maybe it's the extra weight of the truck?

Last edited by Catmando; 02-22-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
the only disagreement is that the jake brake is better at stopping the load on the GM vs the Ford.

Every test of the new Fords I've seen says the exhaust brake is not up to par with the other trucks. Maybe it's the extra weight?
The GM's exaust brake is much better, very close to the Dodge's.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
Nice choice!

Pics when its in please.

I guess you don't need the other pickuptrucks.com link (http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-shootout.html). Best ride, best mileage, best (subjective) looks, best brakes, fastest....the list goes on!
Good find, thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Here's what truckinweb said about the Dodge;

Dodge has been hot on the heels of Ford and Chevy ever since its redesigned Ram hit the market with the much-hyped Hemi V-8. Dodge is showing just how determined it is to take over the truck world by introducing desirable niche products, such as the Ram SRT-10 and Power Wagon, and strongly competitive mainstream products, such as the class-leading 5.9L Cummins 600 I-6 diesel engine.

Our flame-red Ram 2500 tester was dropped off at the office, complete with the $5,460 Cummins 600 checked off on the order box, along with the luxurious Laramie package that included comfortable, heated leather seats and upgraded everything. Similarly equipped as the competition, the Ram came in at $44,245 - the lowest of the test. The Ram was a pleasant place to do business, and all of the testers commented on how maneuverable the Ram was around town. While the Ram had a firm ride, it was also one of the smoothest, no doubt helped by the front coil springs on top of the solid axle. The quick steering made the Ram feel relatively nimble and lightweight, and unlike the GMC, the best thing about the Ram is when you step up into it, it feels like a proper truck.

At the track, the Ram's lighter weight and 325 hp enabled it to show its tailgate to the other trucks with a blazing 0-60 time of 8.85 seconds and a quarter-mile run of 16.8 at 80.58 mph. The Dodge's brakes, which were by far class-leading around town in feel and stopping power, also turned in the best 60-0 braking distance of 138.6 feet - only 6 feet longer than the recently tested '04 Dodge Ram SRT-10, and a whopping 16 feet shorter than the GMC Sierra HD. The 30-0 braking distance with the trailer was also tops.

With the trailer in tow, the quicker steering that the testers liked around town promptly became a disadvantage, causing busy steering and making over-corrections all too easy. The Dodge Ram was also the only truck of the test to come without the optional trailer-towing mirrors, which are only a $100 check box on the order form. Pulling the grade, the Cummins felt strong but had a dead spot in the powerband, which limited the Dodge to the same top speed as the GMC's 75 mph. The Cummins also doesn't feel as free-revving as the Duramax or Power Stroke, but the transmission uses what it has to pull off exceptional shifts and held the Dodge to 60 mph on a four-mile stretch of a 60 percent grade. The Dodge's chassis also felt more susceptible to trailer sway, and while it can easily tow the load, when driven back-to-back between the other trucks, it doesn't feel the most stable. In this test, the lack of big mirrors and trailering dynamics contributed to the Ram being the less desirable tow vehicle of the bunch.

Overall, the Dodge is a strong performer; only its shallow bed and quick steering keep it from being the best hauler in the group. We noted the awesome brakes, clean ergonomics, and quality fit and finish. We would recommend the Dodge to anyone who has the need for heavy-duty truck, but might see more commuting in it than towing. But if you are going to tow, enjoy the Cummins and plunk down the extra hundred bucks for the mirrors.

From the Logbook:The Dodge impressed us with good power and shift points, complemented by great brakes.- Bob Ryder, Senior Tech Editor

What other six-cylinder sounds so tough?- Dan Ward, Associate Editor

There isn't much to complain about on the Dodge, but why don't the steering wheel controls light up?- Sean P. Holman, Associate Editor

[I see this is a test of a 2004 truck. Much has changed since then.]

Last edited by Catmando; 02-03-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TB Racing
I just had to put my two cents in. I am a GM man when it comes to pulling, HP and fuel milage it has to be a GM. The looks is not too bad ether.
That's a great looking rig! are those american force wheels you have there?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rlj676
Nice choice!

Pics when its in please.

I guess you don't need the other pickuptrucks.com link (http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....-shootout.html). Best ride, best mileage, best (subjective) looks, best brakes, fastest....the list goes on!
I took delivery of my new '11 chev duramax 3500HD LTZ. As you can see next to my ford, Ive got some things to do
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Dodge/cummins or Chevy duramax-ford-chevy-front.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.