Notices

Help with choosing a tow rig.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately some good advice...go big , so you only have to do it once.
I am in the market for a bigger boat and now a bigger truck!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an F250 SD crew cab, short bed....love the truck, but am extremely skeptical on the motor. The 2006 6.0 diesel has a weak EGR valve and head bolts that are prone to failure. I had a 1995 7.4 Suburban with over 210K miles that would pull a house down. The F250's modern tow/haul mode and the 4 wheel discs make stopping far superior, but I think the Chevy was truly built to last. (btw I tow a 26' Sutphen, 6000 pounds loaded +/- 500lbs) I don't believe hemi motors have the proper torque curve for real towing. I'd go with the biggest/best Chevy diesel that you can afford...you won't be disappointed...$.02
c
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an F250 SD crew cab, short bed....love the truck, but am extremely skeptical on the motor. The 2006 6.0 diesel has a weak EGR valve and head bolts that are prone to failure.

Yank that POS engine out and put a Cummins in there. You won't regret it.

www.fordcummins.com

Last edited by Catmando; 01-21-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys all the advise was awesome, sorry for the delay in my update. Way too much going on, boating, work and starting a family.

First off I ending up buying a Nissan Titan extra cab 4x4 long bed. It towed great around town but the trip from Wi to Atlanta was a 15 hr nail bitter. I liked the truck but it just wasnt enough. My dad really liked the truck so he bought it from me.
So I went and bought a 08 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Diesel 4x4 short bed, WOW I love it. WAY MORE TRUCK.

Guys Thank You all so much for your advise.
Greg
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the weight of the boat and trailer combined. hemi half ton can two 10,300. Ford EB can tow 11,300, Chevy can tow 11,300 with a half ton as well. You have to be careful with the numbers though as other have stated. But basically you need to look at a few things, pay load, which will say in the door sticker. You can figure that your tongue weight is probably about 500lbs, two people and gear probably 500lbs and thats real liberal for two people. That would be your GVWR, which on the EB is 7700 lbs truck weights about 5600, so you get 2000 lbs payload. which I beleive about the same if not more than the 2/4 tons out there. Next you have to look at GCWR, total weight of everything. SO yeah you can tow 11,300 with the EB but that would mean only yourself could be in the truck. Now like me I tow about 9500lbs with my EB so pretty much I could max the payload of the truck out and still be under the capacity. Realistically I tow 9500 and its my wife and I and a beach bag, so we are fine. Now we tow 50miles round trip from memorial to labor day. My EB tows that boat the same as my F250 diesel did, actually i can acelerate faster with the gasser.

Now if you are talking long trips up and down hills with tons of people than go diesel. If your not going that far than dont waste money on a diesel, its costly. Honestly i dont feel any less or more safe in my EB than i did the F250. As far as brand I mean they are all good, personally wouldnt go dodge, trust their engines but nothing else.

Biggest things is to find your weight of what you are towing. You have one foot less than I do but I dont know what a pantera is compared to a fountain, I also have a steel trailer, if you have an aluminum trailer and your boat weighs less than mine you could litteraly be sitting at 6-8lbs which I would never waste money on a diesel at that point.

biggest thing is dont undersell or oversell yourself. You wont want to get stuck in something that cant tow what you wanted, and you have break downs, accidents and more maint cost. But dont go two big either a diesel is bigger investment up front, maint on standard oil changes and fuel filter changes are going to run your 300-400 a year vs half that in gas. Fills ups on a diesel are about 150 bucks vs 80-90 on a gas. Do whats best for you.

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-16-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by myattitude
Guys all the advise was awesome, sorry for the delay in my update. Way too much going on, boating, work and starting a family.

First off I ending up buying a Nissan Titan extra cab 4x4 long bed. It towed great around town but the trip from Wi to Atlanta was a 15 hr nail bitter. I liked the truck but it just wasnt enough. My dad really liked the truck so he bought it from me.
So I went and bought a 08 Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Diesel 4x4 short bed, WOW I love it. WAY MORE TRUCK.

Guys Thank You all so much for your advise.
Greg
Congrats on the buy, didnt see that. I had an 08 to and got rid of it for the EB with 22k miles on it. Great engine lots of power compared to the 07 6.0 I had. But gas is going to suck in that thing, telling you now. 13-14 is the best youll see unless you mod it.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a nice dually for sale in the clasifieds...I spotted that the wife doesnt like them, but their easy to get around and Ive pulled 42ft fountains before with no problems...much more stable...
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks but I already bought a 2008 Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariet 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel. I love it. Thank you for the offer. Good Luck with the sale. I am thinking my Ford will tow my Apache with out any problems at all.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered

suggest you get the K&N intake. Its like 255 on amazon. It seems to add a little power and turbo gets a little more boost. Your stock filter is 75 bucks so the K&N will pay for its self in a year or two. As far MPG I didnt notice anything when I put it on my 08. The intake is kind of a PITA, I would youtube it and try to get a video before you do it. the instructions are horrible. If I had to do it again it would go a lot quicker the first time just sucked.