Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
The right truck for the job....?? >

The right truck for the job....??

Notices

The right truck for the job....??

Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The right truck for the job....??

I may be in the market for a new pickup truck at work soon.......current truck is a Dodge 1500......not big enough to tow my 35' Sonic.......if I go for a new truck I want to make sure she can handle towing my 35' Sonic and possibly my uncle's 38' Intrepid........what will be the right truck for the job without being a pain in the a**...... to be a truck I run around with a lot for work.......thanks in advance guys.........
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

At least 3/4 ton diesel, minimum. If you can live with a 1 ton that would be better even if it's not a dually.

Diesel all the way however.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

I know for the GM's, the only difference between the 2500 SRW and 3500 SRW is the rear suspension. The parts are fairly inexpensive for the upgrade. Cheap if you can do the work yourself.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Cousineau181
I know for the GM's, the only difference between the 2500 SRW and 3500 SRW is the rear suspension. The parts are fairly inexpensive for the upgrade. Cheap if you can do the work yourself.
I think there might be some insurance issues with that. Maybe the upgrade works but the GVWR might still be an issue. I'd call my insurance company first.

You don't want to have the wrong rig for your safety, and most importantly the safety of your passengers and other motorists. You want to be covered if anything does go wrong which means having the right tool for the job.

Look in the trucks, trailers, and transportation forums here and do a search, there's been tons of great information in there to keep you in good shape. The bottom line is that you need to comply with your truck's ratings and be within them for what you tow.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The other thing with GM's is that they go in limp mode every 15 minutes.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GLH
The other thing with GM's is that they go in limp mode every 15 minutes.
huh?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I got a 2001 Chevy Dually and it has been flawless for 10 years!

You need to go 350/3500 and I prefer dual rear wheels but single axle is ok. Long wheel base is a key part to towing as well as suspension.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
huh?
I've owned three and borrowed one for a trip once from a friend and all of them (none were older than a year or two) went to limp mode at one point or another. All diesels.

All had to do with the injection rail. Most frustrating thing ever and it usually happened going up a hill on a highway towing a cat!!!!

Once I dumped the truck in Jacksonville FL at a dealership and flew home I was so frustrated. Flew a guy later after it was fixed to bring the thing back. They are very unreliable engines.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a FORD and quit D!KIN around !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
I've owned three and borrowed one for a trip once from a friend and all of them (none were older than a year or two) went to limp mode at one point or another. All diesels.

All had to do with the injection rail. Most frustrating thing ever and it usually happened going up a hill on a highway towing a cat!!!!

Once I dumped the truck in Jacksonville FL at a dealership and flew home I was so frustrated. Flew a guy later after it was fixed to bring the thing back. They are very unreliable engines.

All three stock or modded?

I have 165K on my 03 and never been in unscheduled...

106K waterpump
135K front wheel bearings/brakes
145K injectors (warranty)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.