Notices

My '97 F350

Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '97 F350

Bought this truck back in March on Ebay; couldn't pass it up. Flew from Cleveland to Deadwood, South Dakota and drove it all the way home. It's a 97 F350, and at the time had 16,661 original miles. Big 460, 5speed, 4x4 offroad package, aftermarket rims/tires, no more kitty kat, a 3" single exhaust with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler, etc. Everything is primo; only a few paint chips- engine still looks brand new. The only things I've done to it so far was a good set of floormats, a Prodigy brake control, flushed/filled the coolant system, and changed the oil to Rotella synthetic 5w40. I want to put 285 or 315 series tires on it, 4.30 gears with a limited slip in both ends, the Banks full exhaust kit, and a spray-in bed liner. I'dve rather had a diesel, but for as much as I actually drive it (hardly ever) and the condition, I couldn't pass it up. Always liked the old body style; had a 95 F150 that I had a built 393 EFI stroker motor dropped into. Really looking forward to hooking up to a new (to me) boat this spring; it didn't challenge it too much pulling my 20' Trophy or a 24' enclosed with 4 sleds and gear this winter!

Last edited by MetlShpr; 01-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Nice truck! Always liked that body style, classic. The later ones had the smoothed out grill and it looked great. For that era, the gasser was the way to go anyway, IMO.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
Nice truck! Always liked that body style, classic. The later ones had the smoothed out grill and it looked great. For that era, the gasser was the way to go anyway, IMO.
Thanks! I haven't pulled too many heavy loads in my lifetime, and this is the first big block I've owned. Pulling that car trailer thru the mountains, I found out pretty quick where the torque range was the meatiest; a set of 4.10/4.30's would really help keep it in that meat and the speeds more consistent. Definitely nothing against a diesel...very badass...but I couldn't pass this thing up. A 12 valve cummins is a pretty straightforward kit swap, but it'd be like I was cheating on her...the 460 is barely broken in!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Very cool! I'm surprised you were able to find one with such low miles. I've been a fan of the Fords for years. Bought an F350 new in '89 and when they were going to the new body style I bought this 1997 350 while they still had a few on the lot. It's been the best vehicle (and the cheapest to maintain) that I've ever had. It paid for itself within one year by hauling boats back and forth to Florida.

I'd love to hear what you had to thow for it?

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails My '97 F350-dcp02269.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetlShpr
Thanks! I haven't pulled too many heavy loads in my lifetime, and this is the first big block I've owned. Pulling that car trailer thru the mountains, I found out pretty quick where the torque range was the meatiest; a set of 4.10/4.30's would really help keep it in that meat and the speeds more consistent. Definitely nothing against a diesel...very badass...but I couldn't pass this thing up. A 12 valve cummins is a pretty straightforward kit swap, but it'd be like I was cheating on her...the 460 is barely broken in!
When you get tired of 5-6mpg towing you'll drop that 12 valve in it. Fords love Cummins.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought a 97 f350 dwr diesel stick, has 180,000 on runs like a champ! We just use it to move the boat around.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
When you get tired of 5-6mpg towing you'll drop that 12 valve in it. Fords love Cummins.
They are not that bad on fuel. I've towed my Top Gun from Maine to Minnesota and LOTO with my gas 460 F-350. It got 7.5 mpg towing about 15,000 lbs. It gets 12 empty on the highway