Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Super Duty Transfer Case rebuild.  Need some advise. >

Super Duty Transfer Case rebuild. Need some advise.

Notices

Super Duty Transfer Case rebuild. Need some advise.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Super Duty Transfer Case rebuild. Need some advise.

Hey guys. My parents have a 2002 Ford Super Duty, 3/4 Ton V-10 that they use for feed deliveries from the co-op they own.
Recently, it started making a bad vibration at 55-60 mph. So we had the tires re-balanced and still had the problem. Since the truck has 140k original miles with nothing ever done to the drive-train, we went ahead and replaced the U-joints and Carrier Bearing. It still had the vibration.
Now a couple weeks later, it has started leaking fluid out of the front and rear of the transfer case. So we took it out of service and parked it in the garage.
My thought is we may have a bad bearing or something more serious happening inside there.
My questions are:

1.Does it seem like we are going in the right direction here?
2.How difficult is this case to re-build?
3.Does it require any special tools to perform the rebuild?
4.Cost? Parts, basically.

Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks Guys, Nick.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

P.S.- Its an X-cab, long-box Lariat with the Electric Shift case.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what it costs to rebuild one. Usually when I need something, I go to this website and see if I can find a low mileage used unit.

www.car-part.com

This website is tied into a ton of auto recyclers across the U.S.

Just fill in the info and put in your zip code and see what you get. Probably gonna be more cost effective to find a used one and drop it in. You can usually get a larger item shipped for around 100.00

Good luck !!

Smitty
Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

If it has the front auto hubs hake sure its not turning the front drive shaft,,the front auto hubs stick when they get older.It may have some bad u joints in the front axles and or front drive shaft which which could be causing the vibration..The only thing i have seen is when you get a leak in the transfer case it will leak all but a half a quart of fluid and that's when it will vibrate,if it ran out of fluid your best bet would be is to replace the whole thing,it could get pricey..call jasper and see if they have one in stock already rebuilt.
I know on the diesels they had a bad torque converter that caused a vibration as they got some miles on them..rev the engine in N to about 2k and see if it vibrates,if it dose then you may have a bas torque converter..
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the advise. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, verify that there was no fluid between the t-case and the trans. the output shaft seal can go out of the trans then shove fluid into the t-case. then the t case gets too full and starts to barf fluid from the seals first then the vent.

the parts will be costly. the reuild is not hard. it has the selsector and clutch assy which engages the chain for 4x4 hi then the planetary set for the 4x4 low. i can put the ford workshop manual in .pdf form and email it to you. if it is the t-case i would prob go used. and like fix said make sure your lockuts are disengaging (can take up to 2 miles) but make sure. that is a lot of un-needed wear and tear on the front axle. and you will be loosing fuel economy due to the drag.