Notices

Ram 3500 hd high output

Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by baja27
Jassman how did you like the dodge?
I thought it was a great truck...all the way around...I would own one..just wish I could have hooked my 12k trailer to it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told you cannot order a 2011 and I can't find a dealer that has one in stock. Hard to believe it is this difficult.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JTeam
I was told you cannot order a 2011 and I can't find a dealer that has one in stock. Hard to believe it is this difficult.
The one I drove was not the dealers, and was from Dodge...hence the reason I couldnt hook up my trailer or go for an extended drive. I drove a few trucks that day, including a 392 Challanger that the wife wants...in Green with Envy 6 speed manual... I was told they are in production, and a few larger volume stores have them as of now.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Is Dodge still using an cummins inline motor, or have they switched to a V8?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RogerThat99
The inline is obviously a better configuration than the V-8 otherwise wouldn't they be used in big-rigs?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dodge is looking at smaller V8 and V6 diesels for their smaller trucks such as the Dakota and the 1500. I understand Cummins is involved in those projects.

The 6.7L Cummins inline 6 diesel has been used since the second half of the 2007 model year and will continue to be the engine of choice for the Ram class 2 through class 5 trucks in the future.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by "SHUKO"
The inline is obviously a better configuration than the V-8 otherwise wouldn't they be used in big-rigs?
Originally Posted by Catmando
Dodge is looking at smaller V8 and V6 diesels for their smaller trucks such as the Dakota and the 1500. I understand Cummins is involved in those projects.

The 6.7L Cummins inline 6 diesel has been used since the second half of the 2007 model year and will continue to be the engine of choice for the Ram class 2 through class 5 trucks in the future.
The question wasn't meant to say the inline isn't as good as a V8. I was asking the question because the inlines put out more torque and could be the reason for the torque numbers that were asked about above. I think most would agree, when it comes to diesel pickups, the Cummins motor is the best motor. I drive a Ford and wish I had the Cummins motor.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

recieved this today in an email... the hp is lower than gm and Ford.. 397 and 400 vs 350 for the Ram. The one I drove felt more lively than the 350 hp versions of past.

JEFF JASSBY:

At Ram Truck, we build our heavy-duty pickups with an engine that doesn't just throw numbers around — it proves them in the real world.

PROVEN MILE AFTER MILE. DECADE AFTER DECADE.
The renowned Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine has a long resume of consistently delivering the durability and strength needed to haul heavy loads. Check the stats it brings to Ram heavy-duty pickups:

• Best-in-Class 22,700-lb towing capacity1
(available in 3500 pickups)

• Unsurpassed 30,000 GCWR1 (available in 3500 pickups)

• Unsurpassed available 800 lb-ft of torque2, 350 horsepower

• Standard integrated diesel exhaust brake

• Available class-exclusive manual 6-speed transmission3

• Doesn't require Diesel Exhaust Fluid, unlike the competition2

And with a 5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty4, why would you buy any other truck?

Get to your local Ram Truck dealer today, and test-drive proven Cummins engine power for yourself.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question wasn't meant to say the inline isn't as good as a V8. I was asking the question because the inlines put out more torque and could be the reason for the torque numbers that were asked about above. I think most would agree, when it comes to diesel pickups, the Cummins motor is the best motor. I drive a Ford and wish I had the Cummins motor.
1. No I wouldn't say that. Inline six diesels are better than V8s for many reasons.

2. The Cummins delivers its peak torque much lower in the rpm band...1400-1600rpms... than V8s do. That means much less wear on parts.

3. I agree the Cummins is the best, especially for those who tow a lot.

4. You can have a Cummins swap;

www.fordcummins.com