Notices

4R100 Torque Converter Rattle

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Question 4R100 Torque Converter Rattle

Hey guys, my converter has started rattling (99 7.3 F350 w 130,000) and I am debating the best course of action. The trans shifts fine, fluid is clean, and the truck has been well taken care of, but I have the typical rattle when unlocked.

I don't really want to put a whole new trans in the truck if I don't have to, but I also don't want to wast money on a converter if the trans is going to fail anyway.

I talked to the dealer and a he quoted $515.00 for the HD converter, or $2200 for the trans, including the converter with a 3 year 100k mile warranty. This is really a no brainer, but $2200 will really hurt my boating budget.

Is it a horrible idea to throw one of these in there to get me another season or two? Or is the damage done?

http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit.../product/FM64R

$277.00 with a 3 year warranty.

Maybe the ford techs on here can give me some insight... Does the price for the reman unit sound fair? It did to me honestly. Any clue what labor might be at a dealer to get the work done if I chance it and it lets go on the road somewhere?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

The trans in my 01 went out at 112,000 miles. It gave no warning just starting slipping so bad one day on the way home that it had to be towed to the dealer. I was in a rush and didn't know much about them then so the dealer put in the whole Reman package with trans, torque conv. and cooler with the 3 yr 100,000 mile warranty. The only problem I have had was a couple of times when pulling my 28' Bertram and backing the trailer up the brakes would not release properly on the trailer and the trans got hot and pushed fluid out the front seal. This happened 3 times and I know why it happened and I fixed the brake issue but I still worry about the front seal. I am looking at a Suncoast Convertor and Trans if this one goes bad. I have one ordered and installed for about $4,000 and they give the same warranty as Ford. Suncoast builds probably the best trans for these trucks from what I have heard. My truck now has 218,000 miles on it so hopefully the newer trans will last longer than the 1st.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

go ahead and replace it.. did mine as well converter was knocking replaced it and about a month later was putting in a trans... 99 f350 4x4 7.3... order a suncoast though.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input all. I'm thinkin it may be best to just suck it up and put the whole deal in.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Thanks for the input all. I'm thinkin it may be best to just suck it up and put the whole deal in.
Hey Artie, been there done that with my 99 F350. I noticed it around 10k and asked ford about it and they said it wasn't anything to worry about, I put up with it for 170K until tranny started to slip. I went to ford and had them install updated version with three year 36k warranty. At the time it was $3,700.00 out the door.
That converter noise is nasty and it just keeps getting louder. Sure was a relief after getting it taken care of. I could actually pull up to drive through window and order without turning off engine
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best transmissions built. Tell them what you will be doing and they will build accordingly.

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by da*****rcury
Hey Artie, been there done that with my 99 F350. I noticed it around 10k and asked ford about it and they said it wasn't anything to worry about, I put up with it for 170K until tranny started to slip. I went to ford and had them install updated version with three year 36k warranty. At the time it was $3,700.00 out the door.
That converter noise is nasty and it just keeps getting louder. Sure was a relief after getting it taken care of. I could actually pull up to drive through window and order without turning off engine
It is annoying! I may roll the dice and see how long it lasts. The trans really operates just fine, it just makes me nervous with the rattle. I've been told by several ford guys that all the 99's did it eventually, and it won't hurt anything... Did you end up trading / selling yours?

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Best transmissions built. Tell them what you will be doing and they will build accordingly.

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/
They make an awesome product; but for an all stock truck pulling modest loads, I can't justify spending as much as I paid for the whole truck on a trans! I also like the idea of being able to pull into any Ford dealer anywhere if I need warranty work.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
It is annoying! I may roll the dice and see how long it lasts. The trans really operates just fine, it just makes me nervous with the rattle. I've been told by several ford guys that all the 99's did it eventually, and it won't hurt anything... Did you end up trading / selling yours?

They make an awesome product; but for an all stock truck pulling modest loads, I can't justify spending as much as I paid for the whole truck on a trans! I also like the idea of being able to pull into any Ford dealer anywhere if I need warranty work.
No its just sitting there in the driveway, have'nt advertised yet