Notices

New Tahoe Towing....26ol

Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tahoe Towing....26ol

Looking for everyones advice prior to purchasing a new truck. My brother is looking to uprade his tow vehicle now with future intent on buying a 26' Baja Outlaw - he is wanting to stay with a Tahoe/Yukon if possible rather than getting into the diesels and 2500hd's, he just prefers the comfort and looks of a SUV, but also at the same time he doesnt want to get into a situation where he will overwork or overload the vehicle. They are rated at 8200lbs max towing which should be well within range but he wants real world experience/advice, does anyone have this combo or have any opinions as to how this package would or wouldnt tow.

thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The 26' Baja with a steel trailer (guessing--since you are midwest) full fuel, coolers, gear, lines, tools, spare parts, stereo, batteries, etc. etc. is probably going to be 8000 lbs. on the trailer ready to go down the road.

Those vehicle weight ratings are done with ONLY A DRIVER in the vehicle. That does not take into account GVWR which is what you need to consider when you have 4+ people in the truck, another cooler, several suitcases, and all the other crap we carry with us when heading to the lake/river/whatever for the weekend.

IMHO, I would not tow more than a 23 Stingray with a Tahoe/similar sized SUV. I do speak from experience. I towed a 26' Sonic which was 7250 lbs. on an aluminum trailer behind an older Tahoe that was rated to tow 7500 lbs. It was a handful.

You don't want to tow at more than 2/3s of your towing capacity. You want to have "extra truck in reserve" for those OH SHlT moments.

I'd tell him to look into the 2500 Suburban. It's going to be the right setup for him long term.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I towed my Baja 272 with a Tahoe for 4 years, it worked great. I could pull it on the interstate at 70 all day long. I would still be towing with it if I had not moved up to a 34 ft boat.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

I've pulled my 25 nordic with a tahoe all over the place and feel 100% confident about it. Looking for a good used f250 but dont really need it for that boat.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Registered

I have know of 4 tahoes that have had transmission problems from towing. all had the "tow package." my roommate had two different tahoes. 09 and a 10. towing a 14' trailer to the track and back (110 miles each way) with 2 streetbikes in it. the 09 had one round trip and the trans went, then the 10 had 2 round trips and it went. Also his mom's 08 trans went from towing the lawn mower, and his GF from towing the bikes to the track.
that maybe just their luck, but its enough for my to stick with a 3/4 ton truck
Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pulled a twin engine 29ol with a chrysler aspen no problem. 29 fountain with an expedition. Im not talking about 100 miles every weekend. I would say it depends how often you tow as to how enjoyable it'll be. Make sure your trailer brakes are in order.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sixmassive
I have know of 4 tahoes that have had transmission problems from towing. all had the "tow package." my roommate had two different tahoes. 09 and a 10. towing a 14' trailer to the track and back (110 miles each way) with 2 streetbikes in it. the 09 had one round trip and the trans went, then the 10 had 2 round trips and it went. Also his mom's 08 trans went from towing the lawn mower, and his GF from towing the bikes to the track.
that maybe just their luck, but its enough for my to stick with a 3/4 ton truck
And this is a great point. I towed a 31 Formula with a 1500 Suburban all the time with no issues. Depending on how far you are towing and the terrain you are dealing with will determine what you ultimately need. Safety wise, I think you are fine with the Tahoe. Long term duribility is the bigger issue and trannies are always the first to go.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

I think the Tahoe would do great for that. I have a 02 Tahoe that has a 170,000 trouble free miles on it that used to have towing duty for my 303. I think the 303 was a little to much boat for it but I dont think it would have any trouble with a 26ol. I have a 06 Duramax I tow with now and it just makes it pleasurable.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The 26' Baja with a steel trailer (guessing--since you are midwest) full fuel, coolers, gear, lines, tools, spare parts, stereo, batteries, etc. etc. is probably going to be 8000 lbs. on the trailer ready to go down the road.

Those vehicle weight ratings are done with ONLY A DRIVER in the vehicle. That does not take into account GVWR which is what you need to consider when you have 4+ people in the truck, another cooler, several suitcases, and all the other crap we carry with us when heading to the lake/river/whatever for the weekend.

IMHO, I would not tow more than a 23 Stingray with a Tahoe/similar sized SUV. I do speak from experience. I towed a 26' Sonic which was 7250 lbs. on an aluminum trailer behind an older Tahoe that was rated to tow 7500 lbs. It was a handful.

You don't want to tow at more than 2/3s of your towing capacity. You want to have "extra truck in reserve" for those OH SHlT moments.

I'd tell him to look into the 2500 Suburban. It's going to be the right setup for him long term.
Definately a +1+1+1! Awhile back I had a 2500 Big Block Suburban. Sydwayz won't like this but I towed a 13K trailer with it with no problems. Then I bought a 7.3 Ford Diesel 350. Wasn't a noticable difference to me...and it was a lot of city driving. The Diesel was a lot better on fuel but that bigblock would litterally walk the dog on the diesel!

PS I towed that sucker a couple times with a Tahoe and wow...no way! Not enough wheelbase on the Tahoe IMHO for max weight towing!

Last edited by pachanga; 02-25-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

30FT Boats with a Tahoe? I dont care if a Tahoe can pull the boat at 100mph. They have NO suspension, Small brakes, 6 or 8 ply tires, a wheelbase not much longer than a Ford Taurus. Realistically, I wouldnt tow much more than a 21FT boat with one.

Realize that a Tahoe, pulling a 30ft baja, on a steel trailer, loaded with gear, gas, and a few people, will weigh in around 16k-17k lbs total. I dont know about the newer Tahoe's, but the old 4L60E trans didnt like heavy loads. Smoked em.

I drive a semi for a living. Most recreational tow'ers don't realize how close to being on the edge of disaster they really are. Towing 10k lb trailers with a walmart hitch rated for 5k lbs, running c rated tires that are about to burst from the weight and summer heat, they think that tuggin and swaying on the back of the truck is just "normal". Never mind the fact the short wheel base Tahoe with the fact it has over 1000 lbs on the hitch, causing the teeter/tawter effect making the front steer axle so light it's gonna push right thru a turn in a emergency manuever. Brakes? Not exactly heavy duty.

The sales brochure might tell you that you can haul a 8000 lb trailer. Well, once you figure in a few people in the truck, a couple suitcases, and some other goodies, it will probably be closer to 7000 lbs trailer capacity.

My old 24FT Four Winns liberator with a single big block, on a steel trailer, weighed in at 8k lbs, with 1/4 tank of gas on the scale at the truck stop. So i can see a twin engine 29 Outlaw or 31 Formula being every bit of 10k or more. My old 40FT Formula weighed in at 16,800 on the trailer, with less than 1/4 tanks of fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.