Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed?? >

Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

Notices

Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the point about the "officials" not even being clear on what's legal or not legal sometime is right on target. Seems to not be consistant enforcement on a lot of it especially when it comes to trucks and trailers that don't look like a typical commercial big rig. My F550 has a GVW of 17,500 and my Myco trailer has a GVW of 18,000. According to DOT theoretically I'm not even allowed to tow my trailer around empty behind my F550 without a CDL because of the CGWR. As crazy as it sounds I was warned to make sure I had a class A CDL driver drive my truck and trailer to the driving test site while I ride as passenger or I would have a problem when I got there. On the other hand people are doing it every day without a CDL and probabaly never have a problem but you get some over zealous official and you could have a problem.

Most states your good without a permit at 8' 6" or under. South Carolina I think it's 10'..............or was a couple years ago. Also alot of states are 65 ft max length or you need a permit. Also like was already mentioned normally permitted travel is only allowed Mon thru Fri (sometimes noon on Sat) dawn until dusk............technically.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a bad omen about this trip. I went on line and I don't see how I can get a tag for trailer until it is back in Georgia. The dealer tag for the truck gives me 30 days in Georgia to get real plates, but will that fly in another state?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Elim, I don't want you to think that I'm stalking you but I think the weight of that boat and trailer is well over 10,000 lbs. Is that 36 beam only 8'6"? My Jag is 9'4" and I was stopped for overwidth. I trailered from California to Loto a few years back, going I pulled permits in every state that I entered because I had reservations and a time line. My return, I pulled none, I really didn't care when I returned home so while waiting to obtain a permit would have been both a hassle and expensive, I had time and it wouldn't have messed up my vacation time at the lake. The big trucks put you into the same laws as a big rig. You can have a CDL without an air brake endorsement. I had to get a CDL to pull both my boat and my 48' enclosed car trailer. Trailer weight and length are your enemy. No, you don't need to get into California to get to Havasu. I didn't mean to freak you out but only to make you aware that it only takes one trooper to ruin a well planned vacation unless you have the correct license and permits. Hell, I get random drug tested now and with a CDL your blood alchohol threshold is .04 so don't even think about that 2nd beer. Big trucks are cool but open up a big can of worms. Doug
No problem, I don't think you are stalking. I just never this would be an issue with a boat for Gods sake. I leave this Wed and I am going to try to get a tag for the new truck/trailer before and feel nervous the whole way about this stupid CDL deal. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Jag 8 years ago from Randy at Cobra Power in Miami. I had a buddy tow it for me without permits and with a paper plate on the trailer to California without any problems. He towed it with a SRW F250 extended cab short bed truck. That truck looked pretty small in front of my boat and trailer that weights 17000 lbs. I'm not saying that that was a wise decision but it happened. The whole trip was illegal. You will be fine coming to Havasu but you should probably get a CDL and double check the width of that boat. My 27 Eliminator was overwidth. See you at the lake. Doug
Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI according to Eliminators website your boat is 9ft wide.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the good info. It is funny, but one of the reason I bought the Eliminator was to avoid wide load permits and it looks like I need one.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

It is very unlikely you will be hassled about width itself. Mine is the same width. Never a problem. Your trailer is legal and from the back the boat doesn't appear that much wider.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered

Something that is not being mentioned here is very important.

IF you are so unfortunate as to have an accident, if you are not licensed properly and or dont have an overwidth permit ( if it is required) you may find your insurance company doesnt cover you.
They may use all that as a weasle clause to withhold coverage.

I confirmed that a few years back when I towed my 12 ft. cat to the NYC Hudson Run.
While on my trip I was asked for both items twice on way down at the scales.

Last edited by Catastrophe; 02-28-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Something that is not being mentioned here is very important.

IF you are so unfortunate as to have an accident, if you are not licensed properly and or dont have an overwidth permit ( if it is required) you may find your insurance company doesnt cover you.
They may use all that as a weasle clause to withhold coverage.

I confirmed that a few years back when I towed my 12 ft. cat to the NYC Hudson Run.
While on my trip I was asked for both items twice on way down at the scales.
I like to do things right and be legal. I hate looking over my shoulder and being oppressed by the law if I am in the wrong. I have cancelled all my appointments today to go to the DMV and see if I can rush a tag at least, but the last boat tags I got, I had to have a patrol officer come inspect the trailer in person and give me a paper to get a tag. This will be hard since the trailer is in Arizona. This deal has turned into a real
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I like to do things right and be legal. I hate looking over my shoulder and being oppressed by the law if I am in the wrong. I have cancelled all my appointments today to go to the DMV and see if I can rush a tag at least, but the last boat tags I got, I had to have a patrol officer come inspect the trailer in person and give me a paper to get a tag. This will be hard since the trailer is in Arizona. This deal has turned into a real
I presume the fallback position is hiring a hauler or local marina to go get your new toy.
Takes a lot of fun out of it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.