Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed?? >

Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

Notices

Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

I have recently bought a new Ford F650 and a new 36 Eliminator cat and am scheduled to leave in a few days to go to Havasu and test a few different props and then tow the new boat back to Georgia. I got a post telling me I might need a CDL and a wide load permit to make this trip. Does anybody know if this is true? Is it the state you live in or do you have to look into all the different states you will travel through?

Last edited by ElimiNordic; 02-28-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I have recently bought a new Ford F650 and a new 36 Eliminator cat and am scheduled to leave in a few days to go to Havasu and test a few different props and then tow the new boat back to Georgia. I got a post telling me I might need a CDL and a wide loaf permit to make this trip. Does anybody know if this is true? Is it the state you live in or do you have to look into all the different states you will travel through?
i dont know,,i wonder if you put a camper top on the bed and go with rv plates would work for you..some rv's weigh 30,000 + pounds and you dont need a cdl for them..
Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know what your weight is, but it appears that over 26,000lbs and you will need a CDL and a permit. You dont need a wide load permit unless it is over 8'6" width (which it probably is)

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

I think a CDL is only needed if you have air brakes.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

I live in California so I went to our DMV website and pulled this up for you.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd15c2.htm

I hope that helps you out, it's hard enough just trailering without worrying about the Black and Whites on your tail!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Philm
Dont know what your weight is, but it appears that over 26,000lbs and you will need a CDL and a permit. You dont need a wide load permit unless it is over 8'6" width (which it probably is)

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
That's what I found on web, so if my boat is 7800lb and I believe the trailer is 2000lb, I am close? Someone told me it doesn't count if it is an RV??
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have recently bought a new Ford F650 and a new 36 Eliminator cat and am scheduled to leave in a few days to go to Havasu and test a few different props and then tow the new boat back to Georgia. I got a post telling me I might need a CDL and a wide loaf permit to make this trip. Does anybody know if this is true? Is it the state you live in or do you have to look into all the different states you will travel through?
If the boat is over 8' 6" wide going down the road it should have an overwide permitfor each state traveled to be legal. If the GVW of truck and trailer added together is in excess of 26k lbs then you're supposed to have a CDL. The CDL deal seems to be something that isn't always enforced or at least people seem to get away with regularly................registered combined GVW over 26k but actual wieght on the scale under 26k and you don't have a problem.............go across the scales with actual weight over 26k but while towing with a pickup truck and no CDL with no problem...........etc. Pretty sure that your 650 and trailer will have a CGVW over 26k and also that the Eliminator will be wider than 8' 6" unles you have a tilt trailer so theoretically you should have a CDL and permits. If you were towing with a regular dually I'd say get the overwide permits and take your chance without the CDL and you'd probably be OK. With the 650, even with a pick up bed, you might have problems on the CDL thing? If you could get it registered as and RV you can get around the CDL rules. Back in the day I used to drive and Renegade Freightliner toterhome with 40 ft liftgate stacker race car trailer...............80 ft long and probably wieghed 50k + and because it was registered as a motorhome you didn't need a CDL!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Outkast Rafe
I think a CDL is only needed if you have air brakes.
I have heard this one also.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard this one also.
You need to take the air brake test in order to get a class A CDL even if your truck doesn't have air brakes. CDL is required for over 26k lbs combined truck / trailer regardless of air brakes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Here is some additional information:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

It is titled: Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook

Just click on the link and scroll down to page 2 and it gives the different driver's license classifications and requirements that are needed.

The main California DMV website is:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.