Notices

Oil Change Interval on Diesels

Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
5-7000 in my 7.3 F350. Not to hi jack, any advantage to running synthetic in a diesel?
I love synthetic oils, but I will say that I switched to it on a couple higher mileage vehicles and immediately developed some small oil leaks. I am not SURE, but a lot of people have acknowledged that the detergents in the Synthetics can cause small leaks to develop in higher mileage vehicles.

Not sure there is any truth or science to it, but it was my experience. Both the cars that did this to me were DOHC engines.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Amsoil does not recommend going beyond 5k between changes with ANY oil due to fuel dilution from the dpf system. I change every 10k on my 6.4, but it has dpf and egr delete. Before i deleted all the emissions components the oil seemed way overdue even changing at 5k. Looking forward to installing a dpf/urea delete on a friends 6.7 in the near future, can't wait to see what this motor is capable of!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I love synthetic oils, but I will say that I switched to it on a couple higher mileage vehicles and immediately developed some small oil leaks. I am not SURE, but a lot of people have acknowledged that the detergents in the Synthetics can cause small leaks to develop in higher mileage vehicles.

Not sure there is any truth or science to it, but it was my experience. Both the cars that did this to me were DOHC engines.
What happens is Petroleum products over time can create "false" seals, aka buildup, and with the high detergent packages in the synthetics, those can start to be cleaned up and yes, may "open" up some leaks. So there is some truth to your statement.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Yes that's true on the 325/610 Cummins I had. I used 15w40 synthetic so I changed at 7500, thinking the oil would hold up under all that soot and it did, but seeing the oil as black after the change as it was before really sucked.
Black doesn't mean anything. Oil turns black from heat and a chemical reaction with the metals. My father has a 2000 Excursion 7.3 with roughly 550000 miles on it. He uses AMSOIL 10w-40 with a Bypass Oil System and has only changed the oil 7 times. The ONLY way to tell if oil is good or not is do an oil analysis. Color doesn't mean squadoosh!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 454captiva
Amsoil does not recommend going beyond 5k between changes with ANY oil due to fuel dilution from the dpf system. I change every 10k on my 6.4, but it has dpf and egr delete. Before i deleted all the emissions components the oil seemed way overdue even changing at 5k. Looking forward to installing a dpf/urea delete on a friends 6.7 in the near future, can't wait to see what this motor is capable of!
Actually they recommend 3x longer than OEM intervals with the new oil, or longer with oil analysis. Have you seen somewhere that they said OE intervals? I am curious, because that would be news to me.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The amsoil rep clued me in on the 5k mile interval with dpf systems intact. He did say that amsoil maintains lubricity longer even with the fuel dilution from the regeneration process.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Default Duramax

That's the beautiful thing about the 2011 Duramax. Minimal EGR cause emissions are taken car of with DPF and urea. The smartest thing they did was put a ninth injector in front of the DPF in the exhaust so they don't inject the extra fuel into cylinders during regen...no more diluted oil! I am sure Ford and Dodge will do the same.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Ford 6.0 PSD...every 3,000 miles.

But the truck is for tow only. Oil changes are only once a year when it goes in for a state inspection.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by supercat
That's the beautiful thing about the 2011 Duramax. Minimal EGR cause emissions are taken car of with DPF and urea. The smartest thing they did was put a ninth injector in front of the DPF in the exhaust so they don't inject the extra fuel into cylinders during regen...no more diluted oil! I am sure Ford and Dodge will do the same.
good point!! injecting fuel during the exhaust stroke to clean the dpf is what is causing the oil dilution not the egr. bypass both systems & you reduce potential failures considerably. if I owned a 6.4 or any other common rail diesel I would install an additional small micron fuel filter to protect the injectors & hp fuel pump & delete the egr & dpf systems. most catastrophic failures we see are due to fuel debris damaging the pump or injectors (mostly rust) EGR cooler failures & cavitation allowing coolant to enter the crankcase through the front cover. I wouldn't go past 5000 mile oil change intervals without deleting dpf & egr systems.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

EGR & DPF systems are mostly separate from each other. EGR is used to cool cylinder temps to reduce oxides of nitrogen production. The DPF system with or without urea is is used to reduce particulates in the exhaust. both systems are strictly used to please the tree hugger crowd & both lower your mpg especially the DPF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.