Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Questions about Myco style winch post/v-stop >

Questions about Myco style winch post/v-stop

Notices

Questions about Myco style winch post/v-stop

Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Questions about Myco style winch post/v-stop

This is a rather lengthy question, and I may be a bit vague on exactly what I'm asking for, but it's clear in my head lol.

I have a Nextrail Aluminum trailer under my 38' Fountain. It uses the conventional single rubber roller up front that draws tight above the eye in the bow. I am having my boat painted, and for obvious reasons I no longer want to have any contact in the painted area.

So I'm going to be fabricating a post that will hold the winch, further forward, and a post that will provide the stops for the boat well under the painted area. My questions are as follows:

1)I see that Myco, Extreme, etc. use large rubber bumpers (almost dock bumpers for semis) on the V portion that contacts the bow. Is there a reason these have to be rubber, or can they be very small carpeted bunks? Those of you that have the rubber ones, do they leave residual rubber behind in the heat?

2)Is getting a boat in place on the trailer front to rear tougher with this style of stop? It seems to me that ramp angle could allow you to load the boat much too deep or much to shallow on the bunks?

Any and all input is appreciated.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has carpeted bunks and it took a few times loading to find the sweet spot but now no problem.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine had the black carpeted blocks and left black marks on the hull , I got the rubber pads from myco and they work great no more black markings .
Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

ditto on the myco, i just replaced mine and they were only like 35-40 bucks each.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have black carpet on my Manning Aluminum trailer and they leave marks on the white gelcoat. I put white terry cloth towels on it now to keep that from happening.

Anybody know if the Myco bumpers would work for my Manning? What size are the bumpers (dimensions?)? I would buy some from them if they would fit and not leave black marks.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Myco and they will sell you the whole bowstop, bumpers and all. I have one on my Eagle trailer.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Myco w/ the rubber bumpers but I still wrapped them w/ some soft white cotton material! Good luck!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Jpzaluski;3352434])Is getting a boat in place on the trailer front to rear tougher with this style of stop? It seems to me that ramp angle could allow you to load the boat much too deep or much to shallow on the bunks?./QUOTE]

Get your boat exactly where you want it on the trailer and then take a permanent marker and put a straight line across the nylon strap at the 12 o'clock position on the winch. This way you will know exactly where to stop when winching the boat up. Attached is a terrible picture, but if you closely you will see a red line showing what I mean and where to make the mark on the strap.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about Myco style winch post/v-stop-002.jpg