Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Trailer Tool Box necessities......? >

Trailer Tool Box necessities......?

Notices

Trailer Tool Box necessities......?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Tool Box necessities......?

Ok.......Finally decided on my trailer purchase and will be taking delivery in a few weeks after she is built.......let's hear from the experts, a list of what tools I should have in my Trailers Tool Box...... I want to leave nothing out........thanks in advance guys........and any maintenance tips you have are welcome too..........
Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the usual hand tools in my box I carry some spare parts for the trailer. Understanding that your trailer is new and shouldn't have any problems. I carry 2 sets of axel bearings( the old sets that I took out when I changed them all). grease gun and spare tube of grease. Wheel chocks, bottle jack, light bulbs, small box of misc. screws and small bolts, some spare bilge plugs. and bungy cords. I also saved 2 of the axel springs and bolted them to the inside of the trailer frame. What I noticed is that when I see a trailer broken down on the side of the road it is usually due to a bad bearing, or broken spring, hard to find the right ones while on the road. Also if a cop pulls you over for a bad light, always good to carry some spare bulbs. Hope that helps?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Besides the usual hand tools in my box I carry some spare parts for the trailer. Understanding that your trailer is new and shouldn't have any problems. I carry 2 sets of axel bearings( the old sets that I took out when I changed them all). grease gun and spare tube of grease. Wheel chocks, bottle jack, light bulbs, small box of misc. screws and small bolts, some spare bilge plugs. and bungy cords. I also saved 2 of the axel springs and bolted them to the inside of the trailer frame. What I noticed is that when I see a trailer broken down on the side of the road it is usually due to a bad bearing, or broken spring, hard to find the right ones while on the road. Also if a cop pulls you over for a bad light, always good to carry some spare bulbs. Hope that helps?
good list......Thanks.....getting started on it now........
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I just redid lots of stuff on my trailer, im going to add boxes as well. I have an old hub that I took off and it is still in usable shape, I am going to put new races and bearings in it and keep it in there in a plastic bag as insurance, for about 25 buks I have a hub ready to bolt right on.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a cell phone and a BoatUS trailering club card.

That part is true , but I also carry a big bottle jack, spare hub and tire, flares, tire chalks, tiedown straps, etc.
As long as you are prepared, nothing usually happens!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Some trailers, like a Myco torsion axle trailer; are difficult if not impossible to use a bottle jack on the back of the spindle.

For this reason, try jacking up your new trailer when you get it. You may have to carry a bunch of 2x6s to build as ramps.

I also carry a 12"x12" steel plate that is 1/4" thick. It is great for placing a jack on soft ground, and/or under the tongue jack when on soft ground.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread makes for an educational read!
Thanks!

good spot for a spare battery...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

In addition to the list above:
A few wood 2x6 and 4x4 for blocking, chocking,etc.
A good 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar and cheater bar and I like to have impact or high quality sockets matched to the wheel lugs of both the truck and trailer on top of a standard socket set and basic tools.
WD40 or a penetrating oil.
For basic tools, I bought three of these sets. I keep one in each truck (dually and company work truck) and the boat.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3524_200223524

One other neat gadget to have is a small inverter that plugs into your cigarette lighter. It is not enough to run an electric impact gun but it works great to plug a spotlight into or to recharge cordless tool bateries.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I carry a complete hub assembly also. One thing that alot of folks forget abouit is to make certain that you have some wind in the spare tire.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

I also carry some chain, and bolts just in case I need to chain up an axle to get off the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.