Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chevy 4x4 Trucks (Transfer Case) >

Chevy 4x4 Trucks (Transfer Case)

Notices

Chevy 4x4 Trucks (Transfer Case)

Old 04-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
Well, since the case is actually magnesium alloy and not aluminum, I'd tend to soak it with acetone a couple times and "sweat" the surface with a heat gun.

Then, JB Weld should work fine but you have to do it from the inside to properly fix it.

It's awesome that 5200 worked for you but I don't think I'll go that route. It is a cool story to hear that you sold it running with 275 on it. These things are junk - all of them.

It's sad that you see as many TSB's and recalls on something that cost so much. I'll never buy another new pickup. Chevy lost me for good and I'm sure that they will never miss me or my little budget but none-the-less...
What makes JB weld so much better than urethane sealant? I've never seen a jB weld repair that has lasted for any significant length of time. I've used urethane sealants for years in my job and have never seen a failure.

I agree that all manufacturers make junk. After all, they are in the car SELLING business!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you also have to remember that GM does not make the transfer case's they are purchased and other brands use the same one as well...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lg260ss
What makes JB weld so much better than urethane sealant? I've never seen a jB weld repair that has lasted for any significant length of time. I've used urethane sealants for years in my job and have never seen a failure.

I agree that all manufacturers make junk. After all, they are in the car SELLING business!
Magnesium actually sweats. It's a whole different animal and to correct myself one should actually tig weld the spots in question. You weld up the worn grooves on the inside and grind them down to the point where the pump will go back in.

If you don't have the resources to properly weld magnesium (special wire, skill, special fire extinguishers etc), then it's only my opinion that JB product (mixed properly) when applied to this metal is a better choice.

If you feel better with urethane than by all means stick to what you like.

I know I probably won't bother with having a welder fix the case. Also, the JB Weld can be used to take up space and attach to the saver on the inside preventing movement in the future which in turn "should" keep it from wearing another hole. Urethane won't do that.

Also, I'm unsure as to whether or not urethane will hold up and stick on a surface where the synthetic tranny oil is always trying to get out. Does it work well for oil at 200 degrees with lots of different additives?

I just never would have thought of using a below-the-waterline marine sealant on my truck. Maybe it's fine.

I've seen JB Weld do amazing things for long periods of time. Has it's place sometimes..

Last edited by SDFever; 04-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save it for your rotted transom you troll !!

p:
Your right....I'm trolling. I got no business in this thread. My FORD hasen't leaked a drop.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Your right....I'm trolling. I got no business in this thread. My FORD hasen't leaked a drop.
Yeah you do seem to always wind up with the good side of the luck coin.

Loan it to me for a week. I'll baby it around town and drive it easy.

Then it will fall apart !
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Yeah you do seem to always wind up with the good side of the luck coin.

Loan it to me for a week. I'll baby it around town and drive it easy.

Then it will fall apart !
ARE YOU KIDDING!!! you break everything you touch!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Westcoast
ARE YOU KIDDING!!! you break everything you touch!
You must be upset that I was invited to DS and you did not receive such invitation.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

You must be upset that I was invited to DS and you did not receive such invitation.
You better start glueing your chit up now so it has time to setup and dry I suspect cragie invited you there so you will tow his boat home with you...Hes good like that!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

Magnesium actually sweats. It's a whole different animal and to correct myself one should actually tig weld the spots in question. You weld up the worn grooves on the inside and grind them down to the point where the pump will go back in.

If you don't have the resources to properly weld magnesium (special wire, skill, special fire extinguishers etc), then it's only my opinion that JB product (mixed properly) when applied to this metal is a better choice.

If you feel better with urethane than by all means stick to what you like.

I know I probably won't bother with having a welder fix the case. Also, the JB Weld can be used to take up space and attach to the saver on the inside preventing movement in the future which in turn "should" keep it from wearing another hole. Urethane won't do that.

Also, I'm unsure as to whether or not urethane will hold up and stick on a surface where the synthetic tranny oil is always trying to get out. Does it work well for oil at 200 degrees with lots of different additives?

I just never would have thought of using a below-the-waterline marine sealant on my truck. Maybe it's fine.

I've seen JB Weld do amazing things for long periods of time. Has it's place sometimes..
The problem I have with JB weld is that once cured it has little to no flexibility. I wouldn't use it to patch a soft metal.
Urethane is used as a structural component on a lot of construction sites. I only used 5200 because I didn't have any NP-1 or Sikaflex around the house. Any of which would have worked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.