Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
adding a electric winch to trailer >

adding a electric winch to trailer

Notices

adding a electric winch to trailer

Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I really don't understand why guys have trouble with electric winches. As I said in another recent post, I love my Powerwinch RC30. It does have a remote, so you could run it and guide your boat. There's no need for a battery on the trailer. I bought a matching weatherproof connector to the one on the winch and mounted it in the bed. Power comes from the truck's battery. I have a 4' cable that connects the two. If for some reason the electrics fail, there is a hand crank and it will function just like a normal winch.
By the time you rig all that crap up my boat is on the trailer, washed, waxed and covered.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_302
By the time you rig all that crap up my boat is on the trailer, washed, waxed and covered.
Rigging stuff like this gives me something to do over the long MN winter.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
4000 lb boat, 3500lb Warn super winch redone with a strap. Love it. 5 yrs trouble free operation.
Thats why I was thinking of going with a warn, ramsey, etc. Something that is used commercially. Like tow trucks, they need a strong, reliable winch. They get used all day long. Wiring them is really basic, so i can't see why they would cause trouble. I Broke winch straps, and seen mechanical winches break/strip also.

Main reason i thought to rig a battery to the trailer, is that in the event I used someone elses tow rig, I can still operate the winch easily.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a winch on one of my old trailers, was the one encased in yellow plastic, (forgot brand) , but worked awsome on my 8,000 pound cruiser,,,, back in ,center boat, hook up, and hit the remote, sure beat wearing myself out crankin the stupid winch
Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Power winch on for the Black Thunder, it really helps the girl to operate the winch. Dont have to worry about her getting her fingers in the gears or cable, all she has to do is hook the cable and hit the switch.