Notices

2006 GMC Sierra Crew 4x4

Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GMC Sierra Crew 4x4

Got a question for the group. I have an 06 Sierra 1500 crew 4x4. Im thinking on gettiing a little bigger boat and wonder just how big I can get keeping my current truck. I looked up all the specs and its supossed to be rated for like 8400lbs?? I was looking at a 27' Formula with twin SB's. I looked it up and was supposed to come in right around 6000lbs. Is this do able with my truck?........thanks, Brad.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

then your trailer is another 2000lbs, plus gear and such. You would be on the cusp. Could it do it probably, safely thats debatable. Heres my opinion you should really only tow at 85-90% of your trucks capacity, better gas mileage, easier, just safer all around. 8400 for that truck sounds about right. I think IMVHO if you get above 8-9000lbs you should get 2500 series vehicle. Safer and better to tow. My boat weighs 7 grand dry plus 2000lb trailer, and gear. I use a F250 diesel, tows a lot better. One thing with diesel is you will not have the get up or start off like a gas engine. But you pretty much get the same towing mileage as regular driving mileage.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

3/4 or 1 ton truck will always pull better (love my duramax!)-they are built to work! but depending on how far you're travling, how often you do tow, etc the half ton may be all you need. if you drive 15 miles to the lake once or twice a month, I wouldn't get too excited about getting a new truck-your half ton should do just fine. 4 or 5 times a month, 60 miles one way then yes, I'd say you would be money ahead with a bigger truck. Diesels are reliable, powerful and just flat out awesome when towing, and do cost more to maintain, but get better mileage and are extremely durable all the way around.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are talking a 272 SR1 it has to weigh more than my Donzi 28ZX, they are just a bigger boat... and I think I'm realistically around 8k pounds with an aluminum trailer. (don't forget 100 gallons of gas is 600 pounds + all the other junk in the boat)

I think you will be OK if you are close to the ramp but don't plan on serious towing. I tow mine behind a Lincoln Navigator (rated to tow 8600 I think) and it kinda sucks.

I don't tow often (couple times a year) so I'm ok with it. When I towed every weekend I wasn't loving life... my close ramp is approx. an hour from the house... where it is now is 1.5 hours.

I also knew before buying the boat I'd be towing with the Navigator so I sat it on a triple axle trailer for more stability.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM

A buddy of mine picked up an older 272 in maryland or virginia, somewhere a few hours south of his home in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. For those of you who dont know thats the northwestern corner of NJ. He towed it home with a first generation escalade!!!!

He Said it had the motor to do it, but it was scary. Thats what happens when you sell your dually diesel for a boat!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. For me the ramp is like a 25 min ride so its not real far. So I guess it should be ok. I wanted to make sure before I get serious about selling my boat and getting a bigger one. With my Baja Sport 220 I have no problems at all but I know it is alot lighter. I really didnt want to have to buy another truck to get something a little bigger. My truck is in really good shape with low miles for an 06.....thanks again....Brad.