Notices

Coating for Bunks

Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CCA is chromium copper arsenate. All pressure treated wood used to be CCA. Recently however most of what you will find is ACQ alkaline copper quaternary.
If you goto any home building material yard and get pressure treated wood it has been ACQ since at least 2004, and possibly as far back as 2002. CCA is banned as a home building material in most all situations. If your trying to find CCA lumber I wouldn't even know where to look. I do know that it is still made and used in some industries.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by socalstone
Exactly. by the time the wood rots, your trailer will be a pile of rust.
I don't buy that. Look at how many people come on here asking questions about what kind of wood and how to treat it. Yeah, even Myco owners replace their bunks every so often.

Paint 'em with exterior grade paint. Ask around your local hazardous waste disposal and they might give away five gallon buckets for free.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red Wood

Originally Posted by Chevmeister
CCA is chromium copper arsenate. All pressure treated wood used to be CCA. Recently however most of what you will find is ACQ alkaline copper quaternary.
If you goto any home building material yard and get pressure treated wood it has been ACQ since at least 2004, and possibly as far back as 2002. CCA is banned as a home building material in most all situations. If your trying to find CCA lumber I wouldn't even know where to look. I do know that it is still made and used in some industries.
Is this that wood they use on decks that has the red dye on it? Like I said I am on a budget I am spending more on brakes wiring paint etc. I want the trailer right. I have the only boat shop in town and all of sudend the phone went dead. Its like sombody flipped the switch and were in better shape than most places we have mining here.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

No, any pressure treated wood will be green to yellow in color. If it has a red tint it's neither CCA or ACQ, unless it was stained.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

I do have some Tomson water seal out in the garage guys. What do think about that and just ship it? Its no a rolls royce. Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Myco bunks are 9 years old and I just replaced the carpet.The regular old Wood was fine.

I would think if you paint/seal them up if they did get wet they would hold water?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Myco bunks are 9 years old and I just replaced the carpet.The regular old Wood was fine.

I would think if you paint/seal them up if they did get wet they would hold water?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by handfulz28
I don't buy that. Look at how many people come on here asking questions about what kind of wood and how to treat it. Yeah, even Myco owners replace their bunks every so often.
ok I was exaggerating a bit. Was thinking about painted steel trailers. Ive rusted through a few and the pt bunks were the least of my worries. I'm sure a quality aluminum trailer like a myco might need bunk replacement before a new trailer.

Point is PT lumber in a boat trailer environment (not exposed to sun and weather) should last a very loooooong time. I would use no sealer and as someone suggested wrap the carpet around the top and sides but leave the bottom as open as possible so it can still drain and dry. just my 2cents.

Last edited by socalstone; 07-26-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered

I coated mine with fiberglass resin after I drilled weep holes in the boards. Makes them a little heavier but seals them tight and resin is cheap.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Registered

Default Weep holes

Originally Posted by kidsonic
I coated mine with fiberglass resin after I drilled weep holes in the boards. Makes them a little heavier but seals them tight and resin is cheap.
I think your onto somthing. A freind of mine years ago when he was rebuilding a boat and doing the floor. He took regular plywood and brushed in some deluted resin with the hardner and brushed both sides and the ends. When he was done he said the floor was rock hard and he didn;t need marine play wood.
Where do you need to put the weep holes how deep etc. How old are your bunks and how are they holding up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.