Notices

Coating for Bunks

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
My Myco bunks are 9 years old and I just replaced the carpet.The regular old Wood was fine.

I would think if you paint/seal them up if they did get wet they would hold water?
That was my thinking as well. The pressure treated wood is treated through the entire piece to resist rot so it should not be an issue.

I didn't really know that they switched from CCA to a new form of treatment. either way, it is made to be buried in the ground with constant moisture and won't rot. It does like to warp though, so get pieces that dried out if you can.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB
So what I am getting here is just leave the wood natural and don't putt any preservitive on it? It seems like with natural wood being soaked in water once in a while then drying out that it would rot out? Its like protecting your deck on your patio I just don't know I am not a expert on wood.
there is a number of things you can do, as mentioned above. keep in mind wood doesn't rot from getting wet and drying out, wood rots from getting wet and staying wet. I thought i read on here as to where someone used something similar to trex 1x6 and then put the carpet over it, using stainless staples it should pierce the fiber in the board.

Alsoif you buy treated planking, once you cut it, look at the end grain and you will see how far the treating penetrated by the coloring..
Old 07-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 89 trailer still has the original wood bunks and are far from rotting, the rest of the trailer is a different story. Cant tell but they might not even be treated.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HERE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WOOD AND RIGHT BELOW THE BLOG IS A TERMINIX AD! I GUESS THAT MEANS THERE TELLING I'M GETTING TERMITES IN MY NEW BUNKS I AM PUTTING TOGETHERE!