Notices

06 Ford 6.0 Diesel

Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 06 Ford 6.0 Diesel

Give me the good the bad and the ugly on this motor. I have heard mixed reviews depending on the year of the motor and have heard nothing really good on the 6.4.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send me you email and i will send you a copy of the class action lawsuit against ford
Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Do plenty of research (searches) on the following issues over at powerstrokenation dot come:

EGR Cooler
EGR Cooler Delete or Heavy Duty EGR Cooler Replacement
Coolant
Oil Cooler
Head Bolts/Studs
Injector Stiction and/or FICM
Steering Box (if running bigger tires/wheels)
Turbo Seal
Bulletproof kits

Awesome truck if you can get it cheap and iron out the wrinkles (maybe a few more wrinkles than some of the alternatives).

Last edited by Orestes; 08-03-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.courthousenews.com/​2010/11/09/Ford.pdf

http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews....diesel-engine/

I have an '05 6.0L F-250 with 110,000 miles on it. The truck was flawless up to about 105,000 miles, with only routine maintenance necessary, and up until then I was a strong supporter of them. But a couple months ago, the sht started to hit the fan and it's been in the shop more than on the road. All the typical bullsht: EGR, Oil Cooler, coolant puking, steering/brake booster failure, leaking front main seal, turbo problems, etc.......the only thing that hasn't happened is the heads warping, but I'm sure that's coming, too, because they're junk.

Your chances with the 6.0L are about 50/50...half of them are junk, the other half run fine. Which one will you end up with???...
The 6.4L is even worse I hear, but I don't know from experience.
The 6.0L & 6.4L were designed and built by Navistar/International.

Now, the new 6.8L on the other hand is Ford built and designed and it absolutely awesome! Too bad a new truck is $50,000+

Last edited by CigDaze; 08-03-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
10M
Registered

Dan,
I bought a used 07 Lariat when it was a year old. I did my research, knew of the problems, was aware of the competition, and still bought one. Intentionally bought an 07 because it would have the longest warranty duration of anything I could afford. I don't regret it YET, but it's a long story, and I should be able to pick it up from the shop tomorrow, after being in and out since March.

PM me for details, but here's my quick opinion: If you get one make sure to plan a head gasket/ARP stud install in your budget, or find one that's already done. EGR problems will happen, but if it's out of warranty anyways just do the EGR delete then it's a non-issue.

I just had the studs put in, and new EGR stuff, and I have confidence in the truck and will keep it for a long time. Without that stuff done and/or without warranty, i'm not sure I'd be comfortable keeping it, because I'd have a hard time coming up with the money for HG's, etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 2005 Harley Ed F350SRW brand new, sticker was $56k with every single option. I purchased this truck to replace the 2002 GMC duramax that I had countless problems with, and GM refused to warranty the injectors before they lost a class action.

I lost my first EGR cooler at 28k, second went at 55k and took the turbo out as well. Radiator split open while driving home from first EGR cooler repair. At 75k they put head gaskets on it after I complained of poor performance, low coolant, and cold start problems. at 83K it went back in for the same problems and they replaced the entire engine because the block deck was out of spec. Took them 7 weeks to repair the truck that time. I sold the truck right before the 5 year ran out.

Overall I liked the truck, I installed a 10 inch lift with 38x22 tires and rim. Truck got a ton of compliments.

I praise Ford for never rejecting an engine warranty claim like GM had done to me.

I was not happy with my black paint flacking off (they would not cover) rear limited slip that never worked, rear caliper problems (7 over the life of the truck) And the fact that they took my truck from me (mulitple dealers) for over a month at a time for each repair, with no loaner, not even a car.

I need a new truck, I like the new GM's. I am really scared to drop 50k + again and not know how I will be treated.

Toyota......please make a 3/4 diesel....I will be your first customer!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

Stay Away. As stated earlier, my truck was ok until100k miles, then when problems start, they dont stop. I had to change head gaskets, buy aftermarket studs, and weld shut the EGR valve. After all this was done, the truck was ok. Before the above repairs, I went through almost each inijector one at a time. Then, injector wiring harness, FICCM module. I got fed up with the truck, then found a diesel mechanic that told me to do the repairs i listed first, then the engine would be bulletproof. All problems i mentioned were with the truck stock. I knew that if the truck coldnt stay together stock, it didnt pay to chip it. After the engine was studded, and egr deleted, i ran the crap out of it, towing heavy loads daily, and the truck was fine. then i added a edge programmer on stage 5 with propane injection. The truck was powerful, hauled ass, and actually stayed together. Ran it for a while until I drove the 2011, then traded it in on a new one. I paid $42k for it new, it was a leftover year model when the 07's came out, three years later, got 10,000 for it on trade with 140k miles. The dealer said that because it was a 6.0, it was almost worthless for resale.

summary- engine is ok if you have it pulled, change all injectors, stud the heads with racing studs, delete egr system. At a cost of about 6-10k of repairs, you will have a dependable truck.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact truck your looking at - 06 6.0. I have 192,000 miles on it as of today, use synthetic oil and change it every 15-20,000 miles. The only big problems I have had engine wise I caused like water in fuel, so much the water light went out in less then 150' from where it went on and wiped 4 injectors at about 110,000 miles.

Early on I had 3 injectors & an EGR go bad with under 50,000 mi all warranty.

I pull upto a 13,000 lbs rig, no problems with anything else. I have not traded it in because of the horror stories that float around. If the new engine goes 2 years with no problems I'll look to trade otherwise this one is pretty good to me.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

I have a 2006 F250 with 105,000 miles and a 2006 F350 with 41,000 miles. Both had the EGR go bad around 40,000 miles but were covered under warranty. Other than that no problems.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a very well-written summary of the known issues.
http://fleetservicenorthwest.com/6LHeadstud.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.