Notices

Am I way off base here?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Am I way off base here?

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/2516458494.html

I haven't gotten a single email or inquiry.

Am I just way off base?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice for an 1988 to me
Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Registered

I'd say your pretty close on price.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
Looks nice for an 1988 to me
It is in really good shape.

I figured someone could sell the wheels and tires and stuff and come out with a pretty cheap quad.

I think I am going to hold steady on the price for at least a little while. I mean you would basically not have to buy any wear parts any time soon - I have all sorts of bushings, bearings, brake pads, oil filters, plus all the electrical components brand new from Honda.

I just can't believe I haven't gotten a single email on it.... Made be wonder if I was out in left field on the price.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It only takes one person to see the value. Look on the bright side, most Craigslist ads have 200 azsholes bugging you before a real buyer comes along.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think your close. Otherwise move your price down 100 bucks every couple of weeks.

One thing to keep in mind is the little toy market(thats what I call things like snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, etc.) has taken a big hit over the last 3-4 years. Its one of the first things people stop buying or get rid of when the times are hard.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I figured someone could sell the wheels and tires and stuff and come out with a pretty cheap quad.
Will it float with those tires?

Bottom line is it's a 1988. What else is out there newer, being offered in the same price range? So what if the newer offering doesn't have all the spare parts, it's newer...thoughts from a prospective buyer.

As for selling the spare parts, have you tried to sell that stuff yourself? Just as you're seeing the market for the quad with lots of extras is pretty soft, the market for those extras is probably pretty soft too. Or sometimes, things are just worth more in pieces than they are whole.

You've got to list that on a Honda/quad offroad forum to get top dollar. Some Honda fanatic will pay for a good classic with lots of spares. I haven't been on there in years, but Thumpertalk is a pretty big forum with a good classified section.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Will it float with those tires?

Bottom line is it's a 1988. What else is out there newer, being offered in the same price range? So what if the newer offering doesn't have all the spare parts, it's newer...thoughts from a prospective buyer.

As for selling the spare parts, have you tried to sell that stuff yourself? Just as you're seeing the market for the quad with lots of extras is pretty soft, the market for those extras is probably pretty soft too. Or sometimes, things are just worth more in pieces than they are whole.

You've got to list that on a Honda/quad offroad forum to get top dollar. Some Honda fanatic will pay for a good classic with lots of spares. I haven't been on there in years, but Thumpertalk is a pretty big forum with a good classified section.
Thats a good idea - maybe I'll find a good ATV forum to post it on.

I don't think the parts and pieces are really worth much to many people, so no I haven't tried to part that type stuff out. Was just hoping someone would take the entire enchilada.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Thats a good idea - maybe I'll find a good ATV forum to post it on.

I don't think the parts and pieces are really worth much to many people, so no I haven't tried to part that type stuff out. Was just hoping someone would take the entire enchilada.
That is a good point. Sell the parts for what you can and then subtract that from what you want for the quad and sell. Like others have said see what like years are getting and even newer.

I buy snowmobiles quite often and extra parts never really interest me due to the fact its more crap I have to store, and why does the owner have all these parts he must not have liked them. Spare parts do not add value to a selling price either.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The quad and dirtbike used market has been flooded with like new quads and bikes from racers that buy 2 to 5 new ones a year and sell them after they get a few hours on them for a fresh one. My buddy wrenches for team Suzuki offroad rider Josh Strang and he sells all the bikes for half the price of new and some only have 10 hours on them.

It is over 20 years old, for a few hundred more you can have one that is 10 to 15 years newer. To me you are way too high on the price, spare parts are worth nothing, those are freebies for the next guy. You can find a 2005 for under that right now.

http://www.quadhunter.com/honda-trx-250ex

Here is a good website to get a feel for prices from all over the nation.

Last edited by BIGSLOW; 08-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.