Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost >

Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost

Notices

Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fordtough150
Love my eco. 21k miles and I bought 9/11. Truck is just amazing. Pulls the boat like nothing is behind it, and beats other trucks in it's class off the line like nothing. Waxed my buddies built 350 c10 last weekend. How could anyone pass up on this motor?
Its hard to beat, and so far the EB puts every other half ton on the trailer especially in the heat and at altitude,my experience it has proven to be a flat out awesome truck.

BUT advancement is continuous in the class.

The EB is missing cylinder deactivation. (Theory being 3.5 light load and optimized is really good)
It's missing an 8 speed gearbox like the Dodges
It's missing air suspension like the new Dodges.

The flat floor doesn't give you any more actual thigh to ground room its just raised to cover the hump and its useless anyway in some models because it still has that stupid woofer box glued to the floor.

Never been impressed with Microsoft Sync....

It's TT v6 is enormously complex and there were some teething pains with trans pumps early models overheating etc...

The 6.2 should be the only thing out there that can give it a run for it's money pulling and efficient cruising.

We'll see....

Uncle Dave
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how some off you all can tow these 7-9K lb boats with an f150 and say they shine. I had an 05' F150 with the 5.4L and towed a 5K lb boat. Under way, and off the line, the truck was great. But coming to a stop, the trailer would push the truck through an intersection (yes the disc brakes were working fine). That was when I switched to a duramax 2500, and the thing tows like a dream. Other than my towing mileage is no better than the 5.4 I had. Granted it has 35" tires on it.

We hooked up my friends EB to this same boat and he was excited about it like many of y'all. Now maybe I got used to my diesel, but the EB was a dog off the line. Up to speed, it was great. But I wouldn't trust it on a short on ramp. Still had the same problem with the boat pushing it through an intersection as well.

Because of this example we hooked up my other buddies "old school" 3V 5.4L. It outshined the EB in every way getting on the interstate with the load. Once under way, obviously the EB kicked its ass....BAD. To me though, it's the initial off the line pull that I worry about.

This was disheartening because I was wanting to get away from diesel and was hoping the EB was my answer. I believe my next truck is going to be a factory supercharged Tundra. Mileage isn't a big concern to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tigeman
I don't see how some off you all can tow these 7-9K lb boats with an f150 and say they shine. I had an 05' F150 with the 5.4L and towed a 5K lb boat. Under way, and off the line, the truck was great. But coming to a stop, the trailer would push the truck through an intersection (yes the disc brakes were working fine). That was when I switched to a duramax 2500, and the thing tows like a dream. Other than my towing mileage is no better than the 5.4 I had. Granted it has 35" tires on it.

We hooked up my friends EB to this same boat and he was excited about it like many of y'all. Now maybe I got used to my diesel, but the EB was a dog off the line. Up to speed, it was great. But I wouldn't trust it on a short on ramp. Still had the same problem with the boat pushing it through an intersection as well.

Because of this example we hooked up my other buddies "old school" 3V 5.4L. It outshined the EB in every way getting on the interstate with the load. Once under way, obviously the EB kicked its ass....BAD. To me though, it's the initial off the line pull that I worry about.

This was disheartening because I was wanting to get away from diesel and was hoping the EB was my answer. I believe my next truck is going to be a factory supercharged Tundra. Mileage isn't a big concern to me.

My Ecoboost tows just as well as my duramax did. No lag, no hesitation, no problem at the ramp, and pulled up hills with the same authority. The truck has nothing to do with stopping, it is the brakes on the truck. If your towing 7-9k lbs, then you need brakes on the trailer, period! If you don't have trailer brakes, then please let me know when you will be on the road. I will be sure to stay home!! LOL
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm towing 9k with mine, and have no problems to date.

I agree with Pure Energy, you can't expect to stop a 7-9k load without proper brakes on the truck and trailer. Also, what rear end was in the EB you drove? I believe there's 3 different rear options in the truck, which 3.73's being in the Max Tow package.

I'd be willing to put mine up against any stock 5.4 F150.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
My Ecoboost tows just as well as my duramax did. No lag, no hesitation, no problem at the ramp, and pulled up hills with the same authority. The truck has nothing to do with stopping, it is the brakes on the truck. If your towing 7-9k lbs, then you need brakes on the trailer, period! If you don't have trailer brakes, then please let me know when you will be on the road. I will be sure to stay home!! LOL
Read my post again.... I said the DISC brakes on the trailer are working fine.

That said....the truck has a lot to do with it. Towing 9Klbs with a 6500lb truck is just asking for trouble. Hell, it could barely handle my 5K lb boat.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
I'm towing 9k with mine, and have no problems to date.

I agree with Pure Energy, you can't expect to stop a 7-9k load without proper brakes on the truck and trailer. Also, what rear end was in the EB you drove? I believe there's 3 different rear options in the truck, which 3.73's being in the Max Tow package.

I'd be willing to put mine up against any stock 5.4 F150.
Unless every one of you guys are upgrading your factory truck brakes, this is a moot point. Again.... The trailer has DISC brakes that were working fine.

To answer your question.... 3:73 crew cab 4x4
Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Registered

That said....the truck has a lot to do with it. Towing 9Klbs with a 6500lb truck is just asking for trouble. Hell, it could barely handle my 5K lb boat.
Just to pick bones, disc or drum, one axle or two, most of the time a boat trailer's surge braking system is not properly maintained.
Old fluid, air in lines, reservoir not full, these are the things that will affect braking more than the actual braking equipment.
A fully maintained braking system, I believe what most refer to when expressing "does it have brakes"

Will I take two axles over one, absolutely.
It is generally accepted that trailer drums can be more powerful than disc when clean and properly adjusted, disc however are lower maintenance thus more effective for the average user.

F-150's will usually weigh in about 5500#.
The lighter truck with softer springs can get pushed around when the load is not well balanced or gets squirrely in corners, emergency braking, rough roads, etc. This is where the extra mass, frame support and springs of a 3/4+ shines.

I know my father's 2004 1500 can get a push feeling in the corners and bounce on concrete highway seams with my 7k load. I am interested in taking a couple hours in the upcoming week while the boat is home for spring cleaning to hook up an Eco and see how it handles the boat.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

I can say it shines because I did it and recorded the results on three separate videos, and I dont own one.

With all these three trucks in one place being compared together, I would think you'd have some video, or at least some stills.

a 5.4 pulling with an EB? - its just not going to happen.

Do you have anything for us to look at? Any evidence of the gathering and testing you speak of?

Pictures of the 5K boat hooked to each?

Anything?

UD
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Registered

I bet he has an Eco-boost too

Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've got a 2010 F-150 FX-4 Screw with the 5.4L and 3.73 locking rear. Tows my 8,200 lb. boat/trailer just fine. Ecobomb would tow it even better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.