Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost >

Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost

Notices

Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost

Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigeman
Hell, it could barely handle my 5K lb boat.
You're saying the EB truck could barely handle 5K?

Maybe you have some unrealistic expectations, but I'm calling BS.

My previous truck was a 6.2 Denali Yukon, and I towed both my current boat and previous boat that was only 5800 lbs.

The Yukon barely felt the 5800lb load, while it struggled with my current setup which is in the 9k lb range. My new EB F150 is night and day better than the Yukon so I'm sure the EB would be great with a 5k-6k lb load.

Just my experience.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
I bet he has an Eco-boost too

That looks like a screen enclosure contractors down here in Florida. Those guys do that sh!t all the time. The stuff doesn't weigh that much though, as it's extruded aluminum.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ziemer
You're saying the EB truck could barely handle 5K?

Maybe you have some unrealistic expectations, but I'm calling BS.

My previous truck was a 6.2 Denali Yukon, and I towed both my current boat and previous boat that was only 5800 lbs.

The Yukon barely felt the 5800lb load, while it struggled with my current setup which is in the 9k lb range. My new EB F150 is night and day better than the Yukon so I'm sure the EB would be great with a 5k-6k lb load.

Just my experience.

The motor can handle it just fine. The truck can't. It's in high wind, and emergency stopping situations I'm referring to. Actually high winds isn't really an issue, it's mainly stopping and accelerating. But like you said, maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

Dave,

Why In world would I have video or photos of 3 seperate outtings spanned over a summer? Not like we intended to test the three against the other. The Eco boost was only driven Because it was there and I was considering getting one. I'll stand by statement that I wouldn't trust it getting on the interstate with a short on-ramp. If you won't admit there's some lag in their turbo design, then you're blinded by your loyalty.

I have no loyalty to the Eco boost, ford, Chevy, etc. I knew coming in this was gonna ruffle the feathers of the Eco boost owners. But I'll stand by my statement, that towing a 9K load behind a 5500lb truck isn't real smart. No matter what the tow rating is.

Last edited by Tigeman; 04-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor can handle it just fine. The truck can't. It's in high wind, and emergency stopping situations I'm referring to. Actually high winds isn't really an issue, it's mainly stopping and accelerating. But like you said, maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

Dave,

Why In world would I have video or photos of 3 seperate outtings spanned over a summer? Not like we intended to test the three against the other. The Eco boost was only driven Because it was there and I was considering getting one. I'll stand by statement that I wouldn't trust it getting on the interstate with a short on-ramp. If you won't admit there's some lag in their turbo design, then you're blinded by your loyalty.

I have no loyalty to the Eco boost, ford, Chevy, etc. I knew coming in this was gonna ruffle the feathers of the Eco boost owners. But I'll stand by my statement, that towing a 9K load behind a 5500lb truck isn't real smart. No matter what the tow rating is.
Thing is that your experience doesn't line up with those of us that have used this truck with the weight you claim, and have taken the time to document our claims.

Photos of you with the vehicles and tow vehicle you make claims about establish some credibility to your statements.

Anyone can SAY anything, but showing the group even a modicum of evidence goes a long way.

I'll stand by my statement that with identical weight the EB will absolutely wipe the floor with any other half ton out of the gate.

Comparing it to 5.4 3V is laughable.

Turbo lag in a 3:73 truck is almost imperceptible. - I described it as a slight rubbery ness in the pedal in my video- but so slight its almost non existant - especially under a load.

Its as good as any turbo vehicle Ive ever driven.

The 3:55 truck has a more pronounced lag and Id image the 3:15 truck even more.

I have no loyalty to anyone or anything but the truth which is why I take the time and bother to document evidence backing up my claims.

I dont own a Ford EB or a Chevy.

I would agree that if you are towing 9K all the time a 3/4 ton diesel is a better choice.

UD
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

I have both a EB with 3:73 rear end for work and a 08 duramax for pulling the 10k boat. I can promise you my 10k boat will never see the back end of my EB.

I love both trucks very much and agree that there in not a stock 1/2 ton on the market that can keep up with the EB, turbo lag is almost non existent I have to put the throttle on slow otherwise it squats and hops. I have been a loyal GM but got feed up when my 08 1/2 ton was the same as my new 12 1/2 ton, gave to another guy at work and got a EB very happy. I did think the EB was going to get better mileage than my GM 4.8l but they are the same 19 each on the dream-o-meter. Both were really about 18 mainly highway miles. Both trucks are great I do like the f-150 more that my GM 1/2 tons. I do tow a trailer every once in awhile that weighs about 6500lbs. EB does great with it but I don't think I would tow much more than that with it. Besides if you guys tell my wife that the EB can pull my boat there goes the diesel. She gets to have lots of shoes can't I have two trucks.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Read my post again.... I said the DISC brakes on the trailer are working fine.

That said....the truck has a lot to do with it. Towing 9Klbs with a 6500lb truck is just asking for trouble. Hell, it could barely handle my 5K lb boat.
By your theory towing a 12k trailer with a 7,500 lb truck would be even more stupid given the weight difference between truck and trailer. The numbers I just gave would be a normal weight for a 3/4 ton truck pulling a heavy load. That being said, using your theory, your admiration of the 3/4 Duramax is skewed even more.

The comments about the greater abilities of the 5.4 over the EB might just be the funniest comment I've seen on a truck forum this year.

It's simple, if you don't like the truck don't buy it. Let someone else enjoy the spoils of the truck.

I couldn't be happier or more comfortable towing the 28SS full of fuel behind my EB. I will add the I also ordered with the Max Tow package and the 157" wheel base to maximize my abilities. This truck couldn't anymore within it's capabilities with these weights behind it.

Buck
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

in the past 4 years i have owned a 1/2 ton dodge hemi, 1 ton dodge with a cummins, 3/4 chevy 6.0 gasser and now the ecoboost. i just bought he ecoboost and have not towed with it. the 1/2 ton dodge honestly towed better than the 3/4 ton chevy but by far the cummins was the best tow vehicle for my boat. the ecoboost by far has been the nicest riding and most fun truck out of them all. i am anxious to tow with it. if it tows as good as the 1/2 ton dodge, i will be very happy!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Registered

EB with max tow and payload package. I tow a 35 Fountain on a Myco with good brakes. No problems even in wind. Now, if you want to go 75-80 down the highway with 10K lbs it might be sketchy. I won't win any drag races but its no worse than any other gas motor, I think.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Louie
EB with max tow and payload package. I tow a 35 Fountain on a Myco with good brakes. No problems even in wind. Now, if you want to go 75-80 down the highway with 10K lbs it might be sketchy. I won't win any drag races but its no worse than any other gas motor, I think.
That's pretty impressive. Did you take any longer trips and keep track of gas mileage ever?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Registered

I haven't had the boat long but gas mileage is in the big-block range. 8-9 . One of the auto magazines did a test towing a 9000# car trailer from LA to Colorado(?) Here's the article: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04...-6-part-1.html

Hills, traffic, and high speed(70+) kill the mpg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.