Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost >

Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost

Notices

Any real first hand knowledge of Ecoboost

Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Using your logic, how do you feel about towing 48,000 lbs behind a 14,400 lb truck? Its done every day. The weight of the tow vehicle has very VERY little to do with the safe capability of towing.
buddy tows 50-70k worth of apples all the time in his semi. no problems
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Registered

Another update for those interested. No issues now have 25k on the trucks. Tows the 29 fountain great no worries or issues with that. As far as fit and function everything is great no issue.

One issue and for guys with 11's or early 12s is the front brakes, there are some with faulty calipers which I had one faulty caliper, warranty covered and I got new rotors, pads on both fronts and a new caliper on one. Other than that runs like a top.

I did get a K&N air filter my MPG increased by 1.4mpg to the gallon. (friend got one as well for his eco and confirmed same numbers) Now Im just shy of 17mpg every day driving with 4x4 and 3.73 gearing. On 10,000 miles this should save you roughly $300 the first year not to mention not having to buy a replacement air filter twice a year now at $20 bucks a crack.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Another update for those interested. No issues now have 25k on the trucks. Tows the 29 fountain great no worries or issues with that. As far as fit and function everything is great no issue.

One issue and for guys with 11's or early 12s is the front brakes, there are some with faulty calipers which I had one faulty caliper, warranty covered and I got new rotors, pads on both fronts and a new caliper on one. Other than that runs like a top.

I did get a K&N air filter my MPG increased by 1.4mpg to the gallon. (friend got one as well for his eco and confirmed same numbers) Now Im just shy of 17mpg every day driving with 4x4 and 3.73 gearing. On 10,000 miles this should save you roughly $300 the first year not to mention not having to buy a replacement air filter twice a year now at $20 bucks a crack.
did you buy the K&N drop in or the complete system?

thanks,
Cris
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

just the drop in filter. Think it was like 50 bucks.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Silverado wont catch the Ford up Ike.

The Ford was a full minute faster up the grade than the brand new 6.2 Silverado which beat the the ten year old designed 5 speed Titan by about 30 seconds.
I feel pretty good about holding onto my Titan for a while until the next technology jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Ngaj4eG5s

These guys put each truck in tow haul and let them shift themselves which I would not have done.
I shift myself on long grades like this.Tested this way the chevy exhibited logic issues ping ponging between bogging down and revving.

This test was conducted in relatively low temps.
In the much hotter Southern Cal/Arizona "hills' n heat" - the naturally aspirated trucks will lose to Ecoboost even harder as the thin air takes an even greater "bite" off the output.

I wanted to see the Chevy do better.

Excited about the new Cummins Titan...

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 12-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Second hand knowledge here... A friend of mine bought a 2011 EcoBoost off the lot, raved about the truck for the past 3+ years, took very good care of it, and this week it spit a rod out the side of the block. Dealer told him the oil pressure loss fried both turbos, and at 88k miles, he's looking at repair bill well over $10k. For his sake, I hope the folks in Dearborn step up to the plate and make things right.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 11-22-2014 at 10:33 PM.