Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How often is 4wd needed on ramps? >

How often is 4wd needed on ramps?

Notices

How often is 4wd needed on ramps?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Oh my god how did they tow these big boats 20 years ago without 4x4 being as prevalent as it is today, lol.
counterpoint:

I've had 4WD trucks for 20+ years ? ?

how? "before so prevelent"
no doubt with more ramp struggles and more duallies in front of "big boats"
not to mention "big boats" weren't so "prevelent" amongst the masses 20 years ago.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I have 4 wheel drive and have for longer than I care to remember - but that's because we average 100" of snow a year. Have I ever used it in a launch ramp? Yes, maybe twice. I always get a limited slip rear axle and good technique and that will get you out 99.8% of the time. (For those of you without LS, lightly dragging the brakes or a couple of big guys bouncing on your back bumper will do wonders.)

Now for that other .2% of the time, 4WD comes in real handy. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my trailer so I can chain up so some idiot with 2WD who has caused a real mess. Remember, once you start spinning the rear tires, you can quickly get yourself in a situation where nothing but 4WD will get you out.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Remember, once you start spinning the rear tires, you can quickly get yourself in a situation where nothing but 4WD will get you out.
x2

Physics 101: Static coefficient of friction > dynamic coefficient of friction
Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I launch in 2 since I have electric trailer brakes, but my F350 DRW won't pull it out in 2WD if the ramp is wet at all. I suppose it all depends on the ramp and what you're trying to yank out of the water. I won't own anything but a 4X4 to tow.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno but you all must really either pick some earl 60's -70's built p.o.s launch ramps or carry no tounge weight at all on your hitches or have giant mudders for tires. I've never come across a ramp that my properly set up 2WD tow vehicle has any kind of issue, including the steep azz wet ramp at Jamestown. Perhaps there may someday be a place I may come across to think I perhaps maybe need 4WD, but I look at it that if I need 4WD to pull it out it's probably a trashed ramp that has underwater issues that I don't want to launch from or retrieve from anyway.

Sometimes 4WD just gives idiots a false sense of security. Common sense still gies a long way's now-days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3goRf...eature=related
Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
x2

Physics 101: Static coefficient of friction > dynamic coefficient of friction
Hit that one right on the head. I was waiting to pull out at a double wide ramp last year and was 3rd in line. Some idiot in an ancient 2WD Chevy (no limited slip) was trying to yank a 26’ Wellcraft cruiser out on a wet ramp. All he did was stand on it and smoke the tires. (This also allowed him to slowly side further down the ramp.) Finally in disgust, I sent my son and his two buddies up the dock with instructions. He instructed the guy to drag the brakes while they bounced up and down in the back of his truck bed. (If that didn’t work, I was going to get my truck.) Oddly enough, it worked like a charm.

The best part was when the guy gets out of his truck at the top of the ramp. He says, “Where’s your dad? I want to thank him because he’s a genius.” “Uh sir, my dad’s probably a little pissed right now. Maybe you should just get going and have a nice day” my son replied. That’s my boy!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4WD helps a ton on steep ramps that are still slimy and wet from the previous launchers.. With that said, tons of guys pull some VERY VERY heavy rigs out of the water using 2wd Sportchassis that have zero lateral lugs on the rear tires. Highway tread only..

But almost all of them have stories to go along with those experiences..
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 596 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
So, what happens when you can't use your trusted/favorite/usual ramp? I.e. you are 100 miles from your trailer, and you break a drive--or worse, you are taking on water; and you have to use Billy Bob's Backyard BBQ & Boatworks' gravel ramp with 2x8s laid across it--ramp?

Be prepared. I don't leave home without it.

So you MUST of saw me last year- Fun run WAY up river at LOTO by Rons. One drive down, on the gravel ramp under the bridge!!

If only 2WD never would have made it!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZP'd
I dunno but you all must really either pick some earl 60's -70's built p.o.s launch ramps or carry no tounge weight at all on your hitches or have giant mudders for tires. I've never come across a ramp that my properly set up 2WD tow vehicle has any kind of issue, including the steep azz wet ramp at Jamestown. Perhaps there may someday be a place I may come across to think I perhaps maybe need 4WD, but I look at it that if I need 4WD to pull it out it's probably a trashed ramp that has underwater issues that I don't want to launch from or retrieve from anyway.

Sometimes 4WD just gives idiots a false sense of security. Common sense still gies a long way's now-days.
What boat do you have????
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
counterpoint:

I've had 4WD trucks for 20+ years ? ?

how? "before so prevelent"
no doubt with more ramp struggles and more duallies in front of "big boats"
not to mention "big boats" weren't so "prevelent" amongst the masses 20 years ago.
They were out there but werent standard like today.

But I guess you need a F550 to tow a 20ft Sea Ray too, you never know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.