Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
converting to electric over hydraulic trailer brakes >

converting to electric over hydraulic trailer brakes

Notices

converting to electric over hydraulic trailer brakes

Old 09-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting to electric over hydraulic trailer brakes

I have a 2006 Eagle Custom boat trailer with what appears to be Tie Down Engineering hydraulic disc surge brakes. On hills, this setup doesn't provide enough braking so I want to convert to E/H brakes so I can control the amount of braking from the trailer.
Has anyone here some experience with this type of conversion? The truck controller is a Tekonsha Prodigy unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Been discussed many times. Do a search and you should find several threads on the topic.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Registered

Should have tried the Search first, thanks for the suggestion. Good info there on welding the slider coupler, etc. I think that I would rather just replace the coupler, though, if that is possible.

I did check with Tie Down Engineering and glad that I did. They don't recommend a 1600 psi actuator with their calipers because they are made of aluminum. Good thing I asked because I was planning on getting the 1600 disc actuator. I've seen where some have said that they blew out the calipers when the conversion was made, I guess that explains why. Need to get a 1100 psi unit for the aluminum calipers.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tie down junk

STEP ONE. Remove everything that says "tie down" and throw it in the trash, you will anyway so you should just get it out of the way now and save yourself endless headaches. The reason you cant use the good pump is that their stuff is CRAP. Pull the torshion axles too. Measure it up and replace with Kodiak everything..There ya go
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I did it on my Myco. Best thing I did to it!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
STEP ONE. Remove everything that says "tie down" and throw it in the trash, you will anyway so you should just get it out of the way now and save yourself endless headaches. The reason you cant use the good pump is that their stuff is CRAP. Pull the torshion axles too. Measure it up and replace with Kodiak everything..There ya go
I have to say that what you say makes sense. The aluminum calipers are too weak to use a disc brake actuator? That does say Crap!
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put Kodiak discs on it. Definitely appreciate the advice!