Notices

WTB Porsche 911 Project

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
I've been working on picking up this '83 911. It belongs to a buddy who bought it new, quite sad as it's been sitting in this spot for the past 4 yrs. He's realized that it's better off at my house. What's it gonna take to wake up this old 911?

There's an old Vette sitting next to it. That got a new ZZ383 about 10 yrs ago and parked....
I had a mint 83 SC that I bought in 89 from a local Porsche dealer. Car had 40K miles on it and Danny Stahl (Stahl Motorsports) had just soaked the previous owner for 19K in rebuilt engine/tranny and that was 22 years ago! I bought the whole car from the dealer for 24K! It was so clean it was in their showroom as a 6 year old car!

Head stud bolts were an area of concern on the 3.0 SC motor and the 915 tranny wasn't great. The newer G50 they put in them in 87 was an improvement. 3.0 motor was pretty bulletproof but only about 200 HP if I remember correctly.

1983 was the first year of the 911 convertible and the only year for the SC cab. Most of those 911's got run hard and piled on the miles.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my current '95 993 Cab from Danny back in the summer of '02, after I recovered from the broken femur suffered in the accident with the drunk in my first '95 993 Cab. Danny brokered the deal for a collector client of his; similar situation, the previous owner paid $60k for the car, and spent another $30k + with Danny doing H&R stage 3 coilovers, Turbo Big Red, Kinesis wheels, TechArt aluminum pedals, TechArt Turbo S brake ducts/fog lamps, carbon fiber Turbo S bumper and decklid, and more . . . sold it to me with 14k miles two years later, at a significant loss. 9 years later, I just turned 44k miles.

Last edited by Cig35Mistress; 11-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cig35Mistress
I bought my current '95 993 Cab from Danny back in the summer of '02, after I recovered from the broken femur suffered in the accident with the drunk in my first '95 993 Cab. Danny brokered the deal for a collector client of his; similar situation, the previous owner paid $60k for the car, and spent another $30k + with Danny doing H&R stage 3 coilovers, Turbo Big Red, Kinesis wheels, TechArt aluminum pedals, TechArt Turbo S brake ducts/fog lamps, carbon fiber Turbo S bumper and decklid, and more . . . sold it to me with 14k miles two years later, at a significant loss. 9 years later, I just turned 44k miles.
I just looked on his site and he has an 08 Cayman with 1800 miles on it! Being in West Palm a lot of his stuff comes off Palm Beach, lots of garage queens over there!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glen george
Nice little time waster there in the classified section!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gentleman who owned my car is named Mark Minkin, who is a local Ocean Ridge/Gulfstream area resident, and former Vice President and Managing Director for New Market Development at AOL. When it came time to make the offer on my car, Danny called and said, "Mark, I have an offer on your 993." Mark's response, I'm paraphrasing, but was along the lines of, "What 993? I don't remember having a 993." The car had been in storage at Danny's for 14 months of his 24 month ownership. From what I gather, Mark owns a slew of rare, collectible, pedigreed race cars of all marques, most with proper provenance, and apparently does most of his work with Gunnar Racing out of WPB. Very interesting people in our parts!