Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck..... >

35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck.....

Notices

35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck.....

Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 35 mistress and 1/2 ton truck.....

Argud with a friend lasdt night, he says he has no problem towing a 35 mistress with a 07 Chevy crew cab 1/2 ton, he said... "it's only over rating a little!!" I told him he was nuts and insurance would have a field day with him if something were to happen...

Who is right?
I understand the truck CAN do it, but say it should not....3/4 or bigger no matter what....
Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling it isn't the problem, stopping it is. As for the towing capacity issue, my company said they "wouldn't penalize you for doing something stupid" (i.e. towing over capacity) since most "accidents" are due to people doing stupid things anyway. However, she said I could probably expect the policy to be cancelled if I had such a claim.

Tell your friend to pull it with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel and he'll never dream of using a 1/2 ton again. It's just a safety issue... plain and simple. Plus, I don't like the feeling of my butt puckering in rush hour traffic when someone jerks their Lexus over in front of me and slams the brakes thinking I can stop my rig. I feel better with a big truck and electric brakes on all three axles.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I made this post to show him a point... I just don't wanna see a buddy get fukked over..
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a long thread on this topic about a week ago. I have a 35 mistress. It's heavy. It is on and old, heavy trailer. No question he needs an HD truck.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the obvious, that the truck braking is vastly inadequate for the trailer weight, so also is the rear axle and transmission of the truck. Ratings are based on the "weak link" which could be the aforementioned items but also can include the truck frame. It's a great way to permanently ruin a truck by exceeding it's weight capacity.

If there is even a slight accident and a DOT officer is called the scene, your friend will wish he never saw a boat by the time they get through with him. Anyone who is familiar, even slightly, with the DOT in any State will know what I mean.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

A 3/4 ton won't even be enough. He need's a dually diesel. Full of gas, he's looking at 13000-14000+ lbs. He should take a look at the RIP Sonic thread.

I can't find words to describe what he's doing. "Stupid" dosen't even begin to cover what it is to tow a 35' with a ½ton. Sheer and utter loonisy might begin to. Hope he has life ensurance and there is no one with him or near him when it goes wrong.

If you can't afford the right truck for the boat. you need a smaller boat. It is that simple.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

If he was in a accident that involved personal injury I have the feeling he wouldn't have to worry about owning a boat or much of anything after they got done with him.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered

All true. Also, check your state laws regarding trailer weights.

Here in Oregon, we have a wierd deal where any trailer with a GVW over 8000 lb has to have a "Heavy Utility" plate. The RV & 5th wheel trailers get off on a motorhome exemption.

What this effectively does, though, is require you to have a special "T" (Truck) plate on your rig. You can use a 2500 or 3500 rig and put a T plate on it, but it costs about $600 per year to have it. I pull with a C4500 Kodiak, and I have it registered up to the maximum non-CDL weight of 26,000 CGWV. I also have a 2500 dodge/cummins, but I can't legally hitch my boat to it except around my driveway. Same goes for my flatbed trailer. Even though it weighs only 4,000 lb empty, it has the yellow plate, and I can't pull it without the T plate truck. If you have a CDL, then you can register up over 26K, and your annual registration fee drops to $300 something. The up side to the heavy trailer plate is that you pay the registration fee once when you buy it, and the plate is permanent forever, so no renewals.

Long story. The point is besides manufacturer tow ratings, and common sense, there may be other restrictions as to what you can do that you haven't thought of, depending upon where you live. Even if you aren't involved in an accident, you could be stopped, and have your boat impounded. DMV is ruthless and unfeeling. As an example, I bought a sports car a few years back, brand new, from one state over. The dealer hosed up the title transfer. Oregon DMV allows you to purchase only two trip permits per year. Even with extenuating circumstances and holding a brand new car bill of sale, and my checkbook, they would not issue me extra trip permits to allow me to drive it. I ended up unable to drive it for over a month.

Last edited by tcelano; 11-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

I used to tow my 29 Formula with a 1/2 ton....while legal sort of,I did not know how scary it was intill I bought my dually. So in a word NO he can't
Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

hw towed a friends boat one time.... I made the comment he got upset about it, It is not his boat he has a 26 footer so he can tow his easily..I was just amazed he pulled a Mistress with a 1/2 ton truck... no thanks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.