Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2012 F350 SRW Crew Cab to tow Top Gun Yes or No >

2012 F350 SRW Crew Cab to tow Top Gun Yes or No

Notices

2012 F350 SRW Crew Cab to tow Top Gun Yes or No

Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I'd get a dually.
+1. Dually is much more stable. I drag aound about 19-20k loaded.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Opinions aside, the simple answer is Yes. The SRW can tow 14,000.
You'd be barely marginal at best with a bone-dry empty boat, but you could get away with it.

For reference, the same exact truck but with duals can tow 17,500. That's a big difference simply by adding a couple wheels on the rear. That says volumes about how much more stable that setup is. It's not the pulling that's the limiting factor it's the stopping.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty...ations/towing/
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a dually and srw both are 1999 f350s srw is 4x4 dually is 2wd both diesel autos and crew cabs. I pull the same 11k tool trailer with both. bumper pull enclosed race car hauler converted for work.. I dont hesitate at all to run the srw with it neither. when an oh chit situation arises the only thing the dually can do is manuver more stable when a tail wag hits from evasive actions. Usually I grab the 4x4 when hauling tool trailer, unless long distances (300) or more miles, then I put tool trailer on dually an a 36 foot flat bed on 4x4..
Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
I have both a dually and srw both are 1999 f350s srw is 4x4 dually is 2wd both diesel autos and crew cabs. I pull the same 11k tool trailer with both. bumper pull enclosed race car hauler converted for work.. I dont hesitate at all to run the srw with it neither. when an oh chit situation arises the only thing the dually can do is manuver more stable when a tail wag hits from evasive actions. Usually I grab the 4x4 when hauling tool trailer, unless long distances (300) or more miles, then I put tool trailer on dually an a 36 foot flat bed on 4x4..
Just remember that the load in question here is not 11.000lbs. but 14000-15000lbs.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I count on my trailer to stop itself, not my truck.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes this is what i think all the time everyone has a comment on towing and size of the truck. My trailer stops my truck. But i will be in the market for a truck soon. I want to buy one more truck and that iss it, so i want to include expansion in towing.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I see zero drawbacks to owning a dually versus a SRW other than buying 2 extra tires every 50k miles, and nobody should be in this sport if that is their make or break point.

I daily drive mine - you don't even notice the saddlebags are there.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allicat38
2012 F350 Crew Cab diesel SRW 6' bed 4x4

With all the experts here on towing. Would you guys tow a 2000 and up Top Gun TS with it. I will be looking into them soon and do not want a dually. My towing is close to home 95% of the time and few long trips. I say yes no problem.
Hell even voice your opinion on this in gas model. I say it would be fine.

This is with the trailer and brakes fully functioning too.
How much does it weigh with full fuel and water tanks? I would go to a commercial weigh station, get that weight then get the max tow weight of the truck and buy accordingly. This idea of towing close to home with a vehicle not rated for the weight will get you in serious trouble with your insurance company AND the law in case of an accident. It's not worth it to save a little money and inconvenience.

My philosophy is buy more truck than you need which will save wear and tear on your truck AND you. White-knuckle towing is no fun, I've done it.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SRW will be fine. The trailer sway control works great on the new SDs. And I have to disagree with Seafordguy regarding driving a DRW versus a SRW. In my opinion anyway, the DRW is a pain to drive around town. Parking and such is a not as easy as the SRW. Not even close. Some drive ins??? forget it. No bash Seafordguy. I just really disliked mine. Great for towing and that was about it.

Sam
Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you guys feel safe on the interstate with 13-15K lbs @ 75 mph with a Crew Cab short bed?

I've towed my Apache with my 2500 Suburban a few times but I didn't feel safe over 65 mph. The truck stops well, pulls ok and seems to handle the weight ok but you feel the rear end start to sway if you're not under power on the highway.

I think I'll opt for the DRW when I'm ready to start towing distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.