Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Want opinions:  Tundra + 292 Islander >

Want opinions: Tundra + 292 Islander

Notices

Want opinions: Tundra + 292 Islander

Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts
Question Want opinions: Tundra + 292 Islander

Going to pick up my new boat next week and want some opinions on what you guys think. I'm bringing it home from LOTO. During the summer, it will be trailered to local Corps lakes 3 times a month (80-130 miles round trip) and LOTO once a month (400 miles round trip).

Truck: 2007 Tundra 4.7L 2wd crew cab rated to pull 8,100lbs

Boat: 2002 Baja 292 Islander single 496 HO rated at 5,600lbs dry

Trailer: 2011 aluminum Venture tandem axle rated to carry 8,700lbs (not sure how much the trailer weighs)

Truck has the same suspension, brakes, and chassis as the 5.7L Tundra rated to pull 10,500lbs. Tires are Michelin LTX M/S 2's on the truck. To eliminate any confusion, my truck is a "big body" (current body style).

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 12-06-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I towed a 29 OL (prolly 1000+ lbs heavier than yours) on a steel Eagle triaxle with a Chrysler Aspen. I did have the Hemi though. Until the trailer brakes were working well I really had to plan my stops. Depending on the ramps you use I would recommend electric trailer brakes. My marina ramp is steep. I had to crawl backwards down it or the Outlaw would drag me down. Let me clarify that I towed it 3 hours from where I bought it, 1 hour back and forth to winter storage and up and down the ramp at my marina all summer. I wasn't confident enough in the rig as a whole to just shoot to another lake for the weekend all the time.

When I got my 342, it's the first thing I did to my trailer. It's so nice to have brakes while backing down.

The 4.7 is going to work pretty hard and your tranny is going to do a lot of gear hunting. It will tow it, but most likely not be an enjoyable experience.
Attached Thumbnails Want opinions:  Tundra + 292 Islander-dscn0504.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also had 4x4 which I always used on the ramp.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

I will compound the responses you will get:

A. Catmando- "I'd get a Cummins, I had two they towed great"
B. Sydways- "Read the other threads, you will be at the limit for sure."
C. Jassman- "I own all three, they all tow good, one has a nice interior, one has good steering, one has great brakes"
D. Everyone else will say, get airbags/chip/exhaust, buy thousands of dollars of EOH brakes, insurance won't cover it if something happens.......

Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plowtown- What kind of brakes on the trailer? Surge? Electric or EOH are better for sure. Stopping is the biggest issue.

The truck will absolutely pull it- drive about 55-60mph max on Highway your fine. Transmission cooler is another thing to look into.

Wannabe
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2001 Tundra with the 4.7 and you will not be lacking power. That engine is solid and should pull just fine, the stopping issue may be a little trickier since the Tundra is somewhat of a light truck. It gets dicey when what you are towing weighs more than twice what you're towing with. Just my .02
Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

C. Jassman- "I own all three, they all tow good, one has a nice interior, one has good steering, one has great brakes"
D. Everyone else will say, get airbags/chip/exhaust, buy thousands of dollars of EOH brakes, insurance won't cover it if something happens.......

That is FUNNY!!! But sooooo true.

Oh yea, Plowtownmissle, you will be just fine.

Sam
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you very much for the responses guys. I feel more at ease now.

I'm not positive of the trailer's brakes but I can almost guarantee that they are surge brakes.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Kudos - well done....
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

This should get added to the Tow-Ratings sticky at the top of the section! Well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.