Notices

Chevy 2500HD- 6.6D v. 6.0G

Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 2500HD- 6.6D v. 6.0G

Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of research on everything to do with a new tow vehicle. I honestly have nothing better to do right now anyhow, so its keeping me busy. I have been also watching the Diesel cost/gallon trends and, well, yuck.

Ok, more info. I am towing a 28' Nordic Heat, factory weight is 4900lbs dry, trailer 1500lbs. So, loaded down, lets say 8000lbs. (86 Gal of fuel, some fresh water, coolers, etc). Tow capacity on a diesel, 12 million pounds or so, got it. More than enough to pull the Heat with no problems. The 6.0L version will pull roughly 10000lbs ( rating it low for sake of arguement, everything I have found is 10,600). Unfortunately for me, at this point in life, I am not made of money like some people on here, and this will be my daily driver. I am in the Army, and only live a mile off post, but its another 3 or 4 miles when you get on post, nevermind any sort of errands to run. (Perspective- I have an 09 Titan that I bought with 43miles on it, it now has 49500, and I was deployed most of 09, and have been deployed most of this year.) I drive...a lot.

So, anyone car to chime in on this debate? Is the diesel bad ass enough to justify the cost to drive it? Will the gas suffice? I am a mechanic, I do all my own work (up to including engine internals and such, trannys and diffs are out, but willing to learn if need be). i am looking at used, my wife is cheap and talking her into the Nordic was hard enough. The price is pretty darn similar for a low mileage gas and the same in diesel down in Texas. Any information, pointers, etc, will be awesome!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Cost of owning the diesel is higher hands down even with the better MPG. I am surprised you can get a diesel close to the price of a gas. Here in KY, you can't give a gasser away. My accountant would tell you to get the gasser, I would get the diesel.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

I may have to go with a gasser. My wife is an accountant, so I am sure she will agree. Texas is a treasure trove of diesel trucks it seems. The two trucks I have found that I like, on either end of the spectrum, are the same price. Both LTZs, both 4WD, both the same color and options. I may need to look farther away I am assuming you tow your DCB with a diesel, ever have it behind a gasser?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Registered

you will have to ring the gasser's neck when pulling the boat and get ready for sub-10 mpg.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Registered

Thats kind of what I am looking for, numbers. I wish I were home to go test drive a diesel and a gas for a weekend or something. But is the low mpg while towing with a gasser enough to make up for the cost of the diesel... no winning in today's world lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you need a diesel or big gas engine to begin with. You are towing 8k lbs, any half ton for that matter will easily without issue tow that boat. Diesel is getting to the point in IVHO that if you dont need dont buy it. If your going new its a 7k invesmet right off the bat. Sure you get more power and better MPG, but its not like your getting 50% better mpg or something. On top of that diesel here is 80 cents more a gallon right now, so what you are getting an MPG is negated by the cost of diesel. Diesel's are hundred dollar oil changes, $75 air filters, you have to change the fuel filters once or twice a year at 65 a pop. Dont get me wrong I love diesels just got rid of mine, the cost of operating it was just not worth it.

Dodge has a hemi out there that can tow 10,600 I believe. And what I just bought was the Ford F150 Ecoboost, with 3.73 gears and max trailer package my truck can tow 11,300. I have towed my 29 fountain that weighs about 10 with a trailer and no problem. Truck gets about 17 city and 20-21 highway. I only get 10 towing 10k lbs but I tow my boat 45mins 10-12 times year during the summer, thats why I couldnt justify the diesel anymore. If I was going across country or multiple hour trips I would have thought differently. Either way with 8k, you can tow that boat to russia and back with any half ton and be alright.

As far as numbers my 6.4 diesel on the ford was getting 12 and some change it might peak at 13 if I was lucky. towing was bout 11. So yeah I lose 2mpg on the ecoboost, but diesel cost 80 cents more. Plus i dont tow all the time. What I figured was this on 10k miles. my diesel with fuel, oil changes and fuel filter was running me 3500 a year. Ecoboost will run me 2100 a year. Oh and my insurance is cheaper on the brand new truck as well registration.

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-09-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With that said I wouldnt buy that big gasser no how. Never heard anything good about them. I must say with the ecoboost I now fill up at 80-85 bucks a tank vs 150-160.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

FWIW... I have been driving diesel pickups since 1981, at least 15 different trucks.... I now have a 2010 6.0 gas and couldn't be happier, and i'm in the diesel engine business.... mine pulls AWESOME, you won't be unhappy, but mileage ain't sporty.... the Dodge HEMI and Ecoboost deserve a SERIOUS look as well, no sense buying a diesel unless you drive it 250,000 miles, the payback isn't there right now and won't be until diesel fuel pricing is 20% under 87 octane and that won't happen in your lifetime

I also just bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee with a HEMI for a daily driver and my avg. in town mileage so far has been over 16 mpg and just a tick over 20 on the hwy, if I didn't own it and see it for myself every day, I would never have believed it, and I run only E90 non ethanol fuel whenever I can, thats worth +2 mpg right there in either vehicle.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

My boat/trailer/gear weighs in at 8,200 lbs. I towed it with both a 2004 2500HD LLY DMax and a 2006 Denali XL 6.0L. Both had 3.73 gears. DMax hands down.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

2007+ 6.0 Gas comes with a 6-speed Transmission, not the Allison but a 6-speed nonetheless. It's also more powerful than the previous generation 6.0's that everybody hates. Couple that with a 4.10 axle ratio and you'll have plenty of truck to pull your boat.

Unless you are towing all the time, you don't really need a Duramax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.