Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Concerned about new trailer for Cobalt 232 >

Concerned about new trailer for Cobalt 232

Notices

Concerned about new trailer for Cobalt 232

Old 12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerned about new trailer for Cobalt 232

So I'm supposed to get a new Cobalt 232 in late January. The dealer was nice enough to loan me one exactly like the one on order for a parade. My concern is that going down a hill I was on the brakes in my V8 4Runner limited and it seemed like the trailer brakes weren't working at all. When I finally hit some uneven pavement the anti lock brakes came on because I was really on them. My concern is safety. The dealer said sometimes the trailers have air in the lines and this can cause this. I know the exact weight of boat and trailer is about 5800 which is well below my tow rating. Has anyone else had similar issues because it stopped worse than my old boat did without brakes which weighed 5200#. I only know this because I had a caliper replaced and had to drive it once without the trailer brakes. Any input would be appreciated as I'm obviously concerned before I take delivery.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The dealer's trailer was probably junk, or at least the brake system was such. Unfortunately, too many folks in the industry view them as tools, and not vehicles. I've even had to scold friends of mine in the industry about this said topic.

That said, that Cobalt outweighs your Toy by a longshot. No wonder why you were pushed all over the place. It would be my strong suggestion go have an Electric over Hydraulic brake system installed on your trailer, and a corresponding controller in your truck. www.maxbrake.com is my controller of choice. I'm guessing your trailer is coming with surge brakes. Plain and simple, surge brakes suck. Too many things to go wrong, and they ONLY work when the truck and trailer are in a straight line. Even with decent brakes, and the situation you were in with a downhill grade, if you had needed to turn the wheel to avoid a car, a kid on a bike, or something else; you would have jack-knifed in an instant.

EoH brakes have been discussed at nauseum on this forum. Do a few searches to learn more. It will be the best money you invest in your total rig, for safety and comfort. I guarantee it. I was not a believer until I had it myself.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-11-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered

The boat pulls almost identical to my old boat, but the lack of braking on the trailer's part is definitely different. As for the trailer it would be identical to the one I'd get. I'm going to talk to the dealer more about it tomorrow. With my old trailer, which had discs on one axle, it stopped great. This one surely can't be right considering it has disc brakes on both axles and is only 600lbs more.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Discs are slightly better than drums, but it's what applies the brakes which is most important. 10:1 the master cylinder on that trailer was dry.

Don't skimp on the trailer, especially since we often haul cargo precious cargo onboard the tow vehicle, family and friends.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-12-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea Ray 200
The dealer said sometimes the trailers have air in the lines and this can cause this.
Only if the trailer was not maintained properly. Should never have air in the lines.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

If the trailer had drum / surge brakes, I'd be much more inclined to believe that the brake shoes were way out of adjustment than there being air in the lines. If it had disc / surge brakes, I'd still find it very hard to believe there was air in the lines. In the grand scheme of things, that's not an awfully heavy load and you should have been able to safely both tow and stop it - if everything was functioning properly.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Registered

The master cylinder was full of braking fluid so I don't know what else it would be. As for the brakes I thought it would stop at least as good as my old boat because I'd be going from discs on one axle to two axles. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

I wish I'd thought about it earlier because if I disconnected the brakes and they weren't working then it would back up in reverse. Never know. Maybe the backup solenoid might be stuck open.

I got busy and didn't contact the dealer today, but with the hills I'd be towing it through this summer it could spell disaster as my old trailer's brakes have gotten really hot due to the steep grades.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered

I spoke to the dealer and the trailer did have air in the lines which affected the coupler from engaging the brakes. Apparently the brakes now work. Obviously when my boat gets in they will check it thoroughly. They were very apologetic. Thanks for your help.