Notices

2wd F250

Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2wd F250

I currently tow my Donzi 28ZXO with a Lincoln Navigator, 4WD. So far I have never needed 4WD to get off of the ramp, and I used to tow every weekend down a steep one.

I'm looking to trade to an F250 Powerstroke. Found a good deal on a 2004, 112k, but it is 2WD. Will I need the 4WD with the pickup because of the lack of weight in the bed?

I'll also say that I don't tow much anymore. (4-5 times a year) as it's in rack storage. So, I'll go get the boat and trailer to an event, clean it up, and bring it back to the rack. With that said, most of my trailering will be highway and most of the truck's use will be around town, getting to work (want the best MPG's) and doing general household crap.

Opinions? I'd rather 4WD for peace of mind but the better economy of the 2WD is attractive... both in cost up front and hopefully better MPG in the long run.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light rear would worry me also, the truck has the power but on a steep ramp i wonder if you could apply it with out slipping. I always use 4wd at the ramp so i cant help you there but am interested in other answers as well
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

i had the same question in my post the other day... these guys answers may help you.... They have convinved me that i need a 4wd. Actually been looking 4wd at duallys.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...le-advice.html
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

4wd is very nice to have, however I have towed a lot with a 2wd with limited slip. As long as you don't back down into the muck, you should be fine. For 4 or 5 times a year in FL, I would consider a 2wd. You may save some cash up front going 2wd, but the resale will be much much weaker. Something else to consider.

The only time I have ever needed 4wd at the ramp was a long steep wet slimy ramp. Even then, I bet I could have stayed in 2wd.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Talking

My only opinion is that F250 are all over the place, especially 4x4's. I know you said you are getting a good deal, but wait a week or two. Do some research, you will find the same truck in a 4x4 for probably the same price. The 2wd would probably do it for your application, but why question it, just pay a few bucks more and get 4x4 then you won't need to worry. Just 2 cents, thanks for playing.....good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
My only opinion is that F250 are all over the place, especially 4x4's. I know you said you are getting a good deal, but wait a week or two. Do some research, you will find the same truck in a 4x4 for probably the same price. The 2wd would probably do it for your application, but why question it, just pay a few bucks more and get 4x4 then you won't need to worry. Just 2 cents, thanks for playing.....good luck!

I agree... I'm not a diesel expert but I know what to buy and not to. The 6.0s are nortorious for blowing head gaskets because they over heat and the studs stretch. the turbos are junk and injectors are becoming more of a problem. also the EGR's go bad on them and can cause you to have all kinds of problems if you dont fix/catch it in time.

2008 they came out with the 6.4. They aren't bad motors but horrible fuel mileage unless you do a dpf delete.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 1997 F-350 diesel stick 2wd, I have been stuck at ramps 2 times in the 3 years I have had the truck. Once, I put a couple people on the tailgate and went right out. The second time couldn't get the boat out, ramp was just too wet. When the rear wheels left the concrete and went onto the wet blacktop they would just spin. Side note....my wife actually does better on the ramp then I do with the clutch, I'm always in a hurry to get the clutch out and let the engine do the work. She seems to ride the clutch longer and has better success getting the boat up the ramp and keeping the tires hooked up. I guess that's the one good time that riding the clutch does pay off.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I have used a f250 7.3 psd long bed, ext cab to pull around a 27' wellcraft coastal, about 9500lbs loaded. Never had an issue on the ramp with 2wd, but the ramps around orange beach are new and fairly gentle slope. I would just make sure to keep a tow strap so that if you did get stuck, all you would need is a light tug and your off.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Some ramps don't look "slick" when in fact their slippery. I've seen numerous times of pickups scrounging for traction that were 2wd and not pulling too heavy of a load, usually an 2wd suv pulling the same weight (like say 6-8k lbs) will have an easier time b/c it has weight on the rear vs pickups lighter rear end.

I remember a friends 2wd Duramax struggling up a ramp pulling his boat that weighed in around 10k lbs. And at the same time a friend in his V8 2wd Explorer pulled out his boat which was about 6k lb's (which though lighter load it's still a much lighter truck) no prob. The duramax was scrambling for traction and even slipped a bit before getting the boat up the ramp.

You just never know when you'll need 4wd, beside it won't hurt gas mileage or anything since you can just flip it to rwd for when you don't need it.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Some ramps don't look "slick" when in fact their slippery. I've seen numerous times of pickups scrounging for traction that were 2wd and not pulling too heavy of a load, usually an 2wd suv pulling the same weight (like say 6-8k lbs) will have an easier time b/c it has weight on the rear vs pickups lighter rear end.

I remember a friends 2wd Duramax struggling up a ramp pulling his boat that weighed in around 10k lbs. And at the same time a friend in his V8 2wd Explorer pulled out his boat which was about 6k lb's (which though lighter load it's still a much lighter truck) no prob. The duramax was scrambling for traction and even slipped a bit before getting the boat up the ramp.

You just never know when you'll need 4wd, beside it won't hurt gas mileage or anything since you can just flip it to rwd for when you don't need it.
I had a 2003 Ram 3500 srw 2wd towing around 5000lbs. Several times I had to have guys stand on the bumper for traction. Very embarrassing for me. The tires were the issue and after I changed from hwy tread to Michelin M&S I had very few problems. However, I recommend 4wd just for peace of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.