Notices

SRW towing? Not for me!! *

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

FWIW (everyone)...

I've had an entire trailer tire/wheel/hub fly off twice while at speed, both times with SRW trucks, both at their max towing capacity. I lived to tell about it.

The first time the entire rig shuttered, and I saw the wheel/tire fly off into the woods. 7300 lbs. of boat/trailer, tandem axle trailer, behind a 1/2 ton Tahoe.

The second time, I didn't feel a thing and have no idea when it came off, somewhere on a 100 mile trip, 12,000 lbs. of boat/trailer, triple axle trailer, behind a 3/4 ton Avalanche.

With those two lessons behind me, I don't tow anything of significance with less than a Dually.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like that pic is a good example that a SRW truck can still blow a tire w/o loosing control, then jack knifing, then rolling over. Since all SRW truck will do that whenever a tire is lost. If dually are so good, why don't they have them on the front?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Sydwayz....

The majority of people that follow the towing thread know that I am one of the most outspoken members about SRW. The majority of people would say that you were directing this thread at me.

If you say you do not personally attack anyone thats great. Then just tell me that you are joking around having fun, you respect my opinion and info and understand that the whole point of this website is to help each other out. I use my knowledge and info to honestly try to help other members out. I have learned so much from this site I only feel its fair to teach others what I know.

Or are you calling me a liar about my knowledge, trucking business, truck, setup etc?

You are not comparing apples to apples when you compare your past rigs to your current DRW.

First off, GMC/Chevy have the best ride, which results in the worst towing of the big 3.

Second, a SRW half ton...well half ton says it all.

Third, a 3/4 ton avalanche is not as heavy duty as a 3/4 sierra/silverado, dodge, or ford.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damage on the truck and missing fender cover is from @ss end swaying into vehicle next to him...?

I've had the right front blow 3 times on 3 different trucks towing 3 different trailers. Haven't lost a trailer tire...yet...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Obviously you are directing this at me, what a D*ck move on your part. I hope you do not represent Active Thunder boats. Not very professional on your part.

BTW, do your boats come on Dually boat trailers? Thats what I thought. So stop talking till you can provide pics.

By looking at the truck there is prior damage all over it! Proving that the driver does not care about his rig. Having a dually, with a neglegent driver would result in the same outcome. You think a person this lazy even checks the tire pressure of his inside dualls? I know the majority of OSO'ers dont either.

What happens if it was a front tire? Dually would make no difference.

Is he alive, yes. Is he safe at a rest stop, yes. Was he a dumb a** to drive on a flat tire, yes. Would a dually make the event any safer, NO! He is safe, he did not wreck, and even if he was wishing he had a dually, what would it do for him? He still would be sitting in the same place he is now!

Sydwayz brings up these towing topics all the time. Just like the "which boat is better" the info here is his opinion, take it or leave it. Did I miss an attack or reference of you in another thread cause I don't see a mention of you here......at least not until after your post I've just quoted.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Sydwayz brings up these towing topics all the time. Just like the "which boat is better" the info here is his opinion, take it or leave it. Did I miss an attack or reference of you in another thread cause I don't see a mention of you here......at least not until after your post I've just quoted.
+1.......I have even mentioned in a joking way about what he would say in the "Tundra and a Baja" thread and he didn't get bent out of shape about it.

Brian is pretty even tempered....
Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Why the reference to Dually trailers all the time? losing a tire on a tri-axle or even tandem axle really cant compare to losing a tire on the rear of a srw truck. When you lose a tire on the boat trailer, you have one or two other axles directly behind or in front of it, which will help keep the trailer straight. Granted they do tear some stuff up when they blow. Im with ya on the steer tire blowing. Thats not fun no matter what you're driving! I have had many rear drive tires blow on my semi over the years. The noise will scare the crap outta ya, but never has it even remotely affected the handling even when hauling a 65k lb trailer. Pulling off to the side of the road or the next exit isnt a problem.

My buddy has a 5th wheel tandem axle dually trailer under his 46 Black Thunder. I must say, it is pretty awesome. He tows it with his semi, and the manueverabilty with the tandem/5th wheel combo is awesome. I'd take that over my triaxle bumper pull trailer anyday. I would then pull the boat with my semi.

This happend to me last summer. Im anal about greasing/replacing bearings, adjusting brakes, making sure lights all work, tire psi up to snuff, then wham. Friggin axle snaps. Didnt feel it, just happend to look in my pass mirror, and saw smoke billowing out from the fender. Chained it up, and got it home. Called Dexter axle, trailer is a 1989, and they sent me a new one for free since it broke where the weld is that attaches the spindle to the tube. Nice!
Nice to see a company stand behind there work.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had never seen a dually boat trailer until desert storm 2 yrs ago, had a huge skater on it. Dont know if they will haul any more weight than a similar triple axle but they dont try to tear the tires off the rims in tight turns
Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Nice to see a company stand behind there work.
Thanx for noticing a positive! Most of us forget to notice these and only focus on the negative. That company did do the right thing, wish there were more out there like that.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
+1.......I have even mentioned in a joking way about what he would say in the "Tundra and a Baja" thread and he didn't get bent out of shape about it.

Brian is pretty even tempered....
I hope he is a great guy, lots of people on OSO are. I would rather be open and share my thoughts and feelings to resolve this now then have tension between us. We both are on here to help fellow OSO'ers out, along with learning. If we were tied up at a sand bar there would not be a problem, but typing is hard to decipher tones, facial expressions, etc. But telling me to take Pills and calm down is a little far, and rude. There is no proof on any forum on OSO, SOS, etc, that I lie, mislead, or do anything but honestly try to help other OSO's and have fun. But the attitudes I get from people on here when I am just trying to share my knowledge with others, is sad. Especially when there is no proof that a DRW is better then a SRW. NO TEST. Just seat in the pants comparison with half ton SRW vs 1 ton DRW. And no slightly modified SRW or super single rear wheel trucks like mine. If anyone wants to take a ride in my rig I would love to take you. We drive though every state! I will even let my G/F drive you! No giving her road head though! LoL!

If he is what you say I am sure he will make it right with me, even if I made all this up in my head! LOL! (now I am acting like my G/F)

I love talking about boats, trucks, all motorized vehicles! I normally post while my G/F is taking a turn driving (our SRW Dodge pulling a 50', 19,000lb+ 3-4 car).

Fact is these photos show that a SRW does not cause a rig to crash and burn like a lot of people have been lead to believe in the past. Not everyone can afford, enjoy, need, use, a DRW. Bigger is not always better, especially if your contact patch has less pressure per square inch then a SRW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.