Notices

First Diesel

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcelano
Yes. I replace my HD Diesel truck every four years, and I've never written a check over $18k, and I've generally upgraded to a better/more equipped truck each time. So $4500 per year to drive new and no repairs ever.
Yup thats how I operate it too. To be honest with you if you come on hard times, its alot easier and you will get more money on a truck if you have to liquadate quick even if you owe a small portion, compared to a 8-9 year old truck with 150k on it.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
In Massachusetts they randomly do a full system check when you go for your inspection sticker, so if your egr is bypassed it will come up as system not ready and you get sent to the state garage, a big pain in the ass so, I don't do the egr delete. I've done a couple cummins swaps and will be doing one on my f350 next year sometime, oil pan on the 7.3 is rotted and it has over 200k on it so once it comes out its out! Lol
The Cummins is a very smart move.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After hesitating for over week now the truck was sold but thank you for your opinions and information on these trucks. I will still be searching for a diesel, just undecided on what one.

My wife likes the looks of fords but I like duramax and cummins, maybe a cross breed will be in order.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like my Dodge Cummins way better than the Chevy Duramax I had.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sin_or_Swim
After hesitating for over week now the truck was sold but thank you for your opinions and information on these trucks. I will still be searching for a diesel, just undecided on what one.

My wife likes the looks of fords but I like duramax and cummins, maybe a cross breed will be in order.
Ok do you really need a diesel? Prices are 60-80c more than gas and won't be going down anytime soon. As to "crossovers", find a low mileage Ford and put a common rail Cummins in it.

www.fordcummins.com
Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I prefer my 6 speed manual dually,but here are some adapters:

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/cu...bt_adapter.htm
Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Ok do you really need a diesel? Prices are 60-80c more than gas and won't be going down anytime soon. As to "crossovers", find a low mileage Ford and put a common rail Cummins in it.

www.fordcummins.com
I would agree I wouldnt buy a truck in hopes of a big a boat. I would ensure your getting your boat first. Anything uner 9-9500lbs I would really look at your need for a diesel and or DRW. Like Cat said paying 80 cents more a gallon for something that get 14-15mpg tops is really going to take your breath away the first time you get to the pump and have to insert the credit card twice to fill it up
Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I would agree I wouldnt buy a truck in hopes of a big a boat. I would ensure your getting your boat first. Anything uner 9-9500lbs I would really look at your need for a diesel and or DRW. Like Cat said paying 80 cents more a gallon for something that get 14-15mpg tops is really going to take your breath away the first time you get to the pump and have to insert the credit card twice to fill it up
HUH ?? try 20 ++ Keep it under 2000 RPM and there is more to be had.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 1
HUH ?? try 20 ++ Keep it under 2000 RPM and there is more to be had.
Steve he's probly talking about the Powerstroke which is a notorious gas hog. I got a consistent 21-22mpg with my 06 Ram dually 6speed manual. I loved the real time mpg meter on my overhead I always knew the mileage at any point in the drive. The downside was it always showed 2-3mpg more than caveman hand calc.

The best mileage I ever saw was when I had just changed the oil and fuel filter and was headed south of Arlington toward the Ennis Raceway. One stretch was a 10 mile down hill run with the wind at my back which is very rare here. The wind direction is almost always from the south/southwest. I kept the RPMs under 2000 which was about 60mph in my truck with the 3.73 axle.

I saw a high of 32mpg on the overhead and I cursed myself for not having my camera with me. When I told the guys on the Cummins forum there were quite a few posts with guys getting mid to upper 20s under special circumstances.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Catmando
Steve he's probly talking about the Powerstroke which is a notorious gas hog. I got a consistent 21-22mpg with my 06 Ram dually 6speed manual. I loved the real time mpg meter on my overhead I always knew the mileage at any point in the drive. The downside was it always showed 2-3mpg more than caveman hand calc.

The best mileage I ever saw was when I had just changed the oil and fuel filter and was headed south of Arlington toward the Ennis Raceway. One stretch was a 10 mile down hill run with the wind at my back which is very rare here. The wind direction is almost always from the south/southwest. I kept the RPMs under 2000 which was about 60mph in my truck with the 3.73 axle.

I saw a high of 32mpg on the overhead and I cursed myself for not having my camera with me. When I told the guys on the Cummins forum there were quite a few posts with guys getting mid to upper 20s under special circumstances.
The Cummins in our trucks aside from a engineering masterpiece, is NOT a light duty Diesel like the rest, but is a real medium duty diesel engine also the inline 6 has 40% fewer moving parts than the V8’s , Plus the truck is easy to work on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.