Notices

First Diesel

Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Steve he's probly talking about the Powerstroke which is a notorious gas hog. I got a consistent 21-22mpg with my 06 Ram dually 6speed manual. I loved the real time mpg meter on my overhead I always knew the mileage at any point in the drive. The downside was it always showed 2-3mpg more than caveman hand calc.

The best mileage I ever saw was when I had just changed the oil and fuel filter and was headed south of Arlington toward the Ennis Raceway. One stretch was a 10 mile down hill run with the wind at my back which is very rare here. The wind direction is almost always from the south/southwest. I kept the RPMs under 2000 which was about 60mph in my truck with the 3.73 axle.

I saw a high of 32mpg on the overhead and I cursed myself for not having my camera with me. When I told the guys on the Cummins forum there were quite a few posts with guys getting mid to upper 20s under special circumstances.
unless modded I think you would be very presumptous to say 20++++ mpg, and really on any 08 a newer diesel dont matter what brand because of the DPF you will not see 20. I think you would be hit or miss to get 20++ on a lot of older diesels. Take in mind you will be paying 50-90 cents more a gallon for it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Steve he's probly talking about the Powerstroke which is a notorious gas hog.
My 7.3L PSD does not use a drop of gasoline. It uses diesel.

There are a 1000 variables which affect mileage on these trucks. Rear gears and weight of your right foot are the two biggest factors.
Others are mirror sizes, tires, wheels, 4wd or not, SRW/DRW (SHlT!), bug visor, grill guards, mud flaps, bed covers, windshield visors, etc. etc.

The best ticket is to NOT make it a DD. Buy a beater or a mini truck for around town, and preserve the value of the truck by keeping it parked.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Did H*ll freeze?

Cat and Steve agree on something!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soldier4402
unless modded I think you would be very presumptous to say 20++++ mpg, and really on any 08 a newer diesel dont matter what brand because of the DPF you will not see 20. I think you would be hit or miss to get 20++ on a lot of older diesels. Take in mind you will be paying 50-90 cents more a gallon for it.
I routinely saw 24-25mpg on the overhead. Compensating for the overly optimistic numbers that was 21-22 actual mpg. In town I saw 18-19 which was 15-16 actual. Remember this is the inline 6 Cummins not the V8 Powerstroke. And I believe the Dmax engines are very close the Cummins mpg which is a real tribute to the efficiency of that design.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

My 7.3L PSD does not use a drop of gasoline. It uses diesel.

Just a figure of speech, sorry.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I routinely saw 24-25mpg on the overhead. Compensating for the overly optimistic numbers that was 21-22 actual mpg. In town I saw 18-19 which was 15-16 actual. Remember this is the inline 6 Cummins not the V8 Powerstroke. And I believe the Dmax engines are very close the Cummins mpg which is a real tribute to the efficiency of that design.
you may be right, and you are also talking pre DPF numbers. Which IMVHO i dont want some some 5-6 year old truck with 100k on it as my daily driver. So if I were out looking for a truck I wouldnt be lookin at 07 and older, but thats just me. Now if I already had one then yeah I would keep it.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by soldier4402
you may be right, and you are also talking pre DPF numbers. Which IMVHO i dont want some some 5-6 year old truck with 100k on it as my daily driver. So if I were out looking for a truck I wouldnt be lookin at 07 and older, but thats just me. Now if I already had one then yeah I would keep it.
Well if I was looking for a used diesel and I found a clean 06-07 5.9 Cummins with around 100-150k miles I would buy it in a heartbeat. You can put 500k on the motor before you have to go deep into it for maintenance. Those trucks look great and they hold up as well as the other two makes and the Cummins is icing on the cake.

And don't be afraid of engine mods those motors are pretty much bulletproof. I've seen 800hp daily drivers.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cat, I agree, on the Dodge as The Transmission service alone in my Duramax Allison Chevy cost, what, the 13”clutch parts for my Dodge Cummins went for, and personally, I like the manual 6 speed and have no problem with it, (remembering if it has a cooler on it, that waste heat is a product of wasted energy VIA friction.)

There is a lot of big mileage Cummins out there, this as testimony to its robust design, through-out the spectrum of Transportation, Marine and industrial.

Mr. Cummins was a real impressive Man.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/cummins.html
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

No the G56 does not have a cooler. I was looking for one before I traded the dually on this 300 Hemi. I wasn't too successful finding one.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Be SURE that you really need the Diesel..... No matter what anyone tells you, the Diesel truck will cost more to buy, own, maintain, and god help you...repair.
I have had big and small block gas trucks, beaten them hard, and assure you that those trucks cost 1/10th the cost of ownership that my Diesel truck does....

Today... I just dropped $700 for a new water pump, oil change and tire rotation on my '04 Duramax 2500.. 73,000 miles on it...

The gas trucks will tow anything a diesel will, but just with less "performance".
Go diesel if you're towing 12,000+ lbs in hilly terrain.
The new gas engines in these HD trucks are pretty impressive.

I can honestly say that my next personal truck will likely be gas.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.