Notices

hard to start diesel

Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Centsless
ETHER!!!!!!!!!!works every time........
cant do that on a 6.5,,either exploads the glow plug tips..
Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by mowmoney
I would check the power driver module, a place in buffalo NY I think its called S&S diesel. My 1997 6.5 would barely run changed that which only took 3 min. to change runs perfect now.
you need to pulll the intake to do a pmd unless you go with a fsd pdm cooler and extension harness....if the truck was dieing while driving then i would replace the pmd and resister.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bad batteries probably. Otherwise turn it until glow plugs go out, turn off turn back on then and do glow plugs again. In the cold these older diesels can take a while to start, although it shouldnt be to cold there.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its eay to run ot out of oil when it leaks and no one looks at it. This truck gets the jump in and go deal.

Some more things i noticed today. When it is full throttle it sputters a little before shifting. Almost like a rev limiter. Another thing is once it starts it sputters for a second before running smoth. This truck would normally start up and run great all the time. I just got in it yesterday and notice all these little things. Its going in the shop next week unless it stops running. Its kept inside and starts funny hot or cold.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered

Batteries are brand new thats one of the things no one paid attention to also.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by Allicat38
Its eay to run ot out of oil when it leaks and no one looks at it. This truck gets the jump in and go deal.

Some more things i noticed today. When it is full throttle it sputters a little before shifting. Almost like a rev limiter. Another thing is once it starts it sputters for a second before running smoth. This truck would normally start up and run great all the time. I just got in it yesterday and notice all these little things. Its going in the shop next week unless it stops running. Its kept inside and starts funny hot or cold.
most likely a few glow plugs are not working (ohme them out with a dvom,should be under 1 ohme,if over replace it)or a air leak in the fuel system..the sputtering at higher rpms could e a few things like the lift pump on the frame rail not working and the engine is relying on the injection pump to suck the fuel from the fuel tank.you should hear a rattle noise the drivers seat when waiting for the glow plugs to warm up..is it blowing black smoke?? cause for that is not enough turbo boost....broken vacume line going to the turbos waste gate.. and wore out fuel injectors which should e replaced every 100k...

first make sure their are no fuel leaks on the ground before starting in the am..
i forgot to mention,their is also a fuel heater in the filter housing that may need to be looked at,when the engine is first started wait a few minutes,,on the back side of the fuel filter housing is the heater element,,touch it and see if it feels warm...

and another thing i forgot to mention....thease 6.5's are known for cracked cylinder heads,they will leak antifreeze in the cylinders over night,,make sure the antifreeze resivour is full and their are no external leaks...a sign for leaking heads is hard starting and bellows of white smoke when first started..

Last edited by FIXX; 12-22-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

Ill check but im pretty sure there is no fuel leaks. i dont think there was much smoke if there was it was white. Ill let you know when we get it fixed.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by Allicat38
Ill check but im pretty sure there is no fuel leaks. i dont think there was much smoke if there was it was white. Ill let you know when we get it fixed.
when starting,,,white smoke is antifreeze,,lite greyish smoke is unburner diesel,,,it will have a strong diesel smell if diesel,, the smoke will smell like sweet diesel if its antifreeze
Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you could just buy a cummins.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Registered

My choice is the new ford.

Ill see whats up with the truck so time after the holidays. Ill post anything i find. I got my truck back so out with the 95 chevy.

Have a good christmas everyone