Notices

Australian Spec Trailers

Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Australian Spec Trailers

I was checking my trailer build today at All American in Pompano and noticed a trailer that had Electric over Hydraulic brakes. This is the first one I had seen and took notice of. One of the guys there explained that this particular trailer was going to Australia with a boat from the area and that braking system was part of Australian requirements. Another feature it had was wireless remote for the brakes which is another requirement.

Does anyone on the forum have electric over hydraulic brakes and is any one familiar with the Australian Specs?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't have them but Electric/Hydraulic is fairly common on boats 30 ft plus....a few buddies have them including one who switched from surge to E/H. Not sure what the wireless brake remote is as they are usually wired into the back-up lights.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I don't have them but Electric/Hydraulic is fairly common on boats 30 ft plus....a few buddies have them including one who switched from surge to E/H. Not sure what the wireless brake remote is as they are usually wired into the back-up lights.
Seems like a decent idea with out getting exotic...any feed back from your buds on improved drive ability and ramp performance?

I understand you can easily lock the brakes down with the remote. I might upgrade mine later on based on how my new trailer performs with 4: wheel disc/surge.

I found this Aussie Trailer Mfg. that list some of the requirements:
http://www.kokopellitrailers.com/aus...-trailers.html

The Aussies don't cut corners regarding safety. I am in the Fire Protection Industry and can tell you that Australian/New Zealand standards are much more rigid than our own. We can take a few pointers from our kindred people in Australia.

Last edited by sprink58; 12-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have electric over hydraulic on my Cigarette trailer. I can tell you that it is the best stopping trailer I own. (comparing to a heavy flatbed and a box trailer with electric, and another boat with surge brakes). The control head is in a plastic housing, and is self-contained, so installation is no harder than any other system.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've towed the same boat with the same truck, on to different trailers.
Original trailer one had surge brakes.
Current trailer has EoH.

EoH is THE ONLY way to tow! You can adjust braking based on weight of the boat (fuel load), and according to road conditions.

And Surge brakes only work when you are going in a straight line!! If you turn the wheel on the truck, are going around a curve, or have to change lanes while braking, the surge brakes system is not effective and is likely to jackknife the rig.
There're many threads on this topic.