Notices

Escalade tire airpresure

Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Escalade tire airpresure

We just got a 2011 Escalade with Nexen 285 45R22 Roadian HP. The computer in the truck says tires should be at 32 psi. Cold they are 30-31 warm about 2 psi higher. The truck rides great, but after a lane change it feels like the is a little tire squirm back to straight. I checked the Nexen website and they say 50psi max, no min. I was thinking of bumping the psi up to 40 and see how that does.

You guys have any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

tire pressure is directly related to load placed upon the tire, you need equal pounds per square inch inside the tire as the load placed upon it to stay up off the ground, what is the original tire size on the truck ?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I run 40psi in a set of 20s.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

These I thought are the originals.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

WE have factor 22s on our Tahoe. I like them 5 to 8 lbs under max.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

38 on my lincoln aviator stock tires
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

It realy depends on the tire itself. Check the sidewall on the tire for what they recomend....on the dorr jam of my Tahoe it says to run the stock tires at 34psi....on the tire itself it says 60psi.
Also some tires have more sidewall flex then others. On my old dually i had "upgraded" from the stock goodyears to BFG Longtrail T/A as i was told at that time the AllTerrain T/A were NLA. anyway same exact size as the stockers but these were run at 60psi as compared tot he stock ones at 50psi for towing.....when taking turns and hitting uneven surfaces it felt like the back end was "wagging the tail" due tot he tires. I hated them!!! Was a nicer ride as i think they were "softer" but the flex made me uneasy.
Right now i have a set of 20" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus and i run them at 60psi and they rock. Only complaint i have about then is the fact they are a bit more square on the corners and the fronts are wearing the outsides from my taking hard turns.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

hey mark. I would try airing them up. I'd try going up to 40-44 cold. I always try to run my tires close to their max. Might be a little firmer ride, but gas mileage seems to be a little better. Our 2008 Grand Cherokee got over 70k miles on the stock goodyears this way, tires wore evenly. Replaced them at 70k, with a new set of the same oe goodyears, at 100k miles now and tires look great still.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I run mine close to max for all the reason MILD THUNDER said. Plus the last two cars I've had with TPMs seem to be sensitive if you barely fall under the recommended, not miunimum. I don't like warning lights going off all the time. My Lincoln won't tell me which tire is low either....PITA
Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of things to notice. The max pressure on the tire sidewall has nothing to do with reccomended tire pressure. It's just what is needed when the tire is under its heaviest recomended load. Don't over inflate your tires, you will wear the center down, get a harsh ride and often get too sesitive steering. Inflate your tires early in the morning when they are cold and have not been sitting in the sun. If you have to drive somewhere, to inflate them, let them cool off before checking the air pressure. Tires are build to be inflated and measured this way, very important.
Also, don't just rely on your on board monitoring system. Get a good quelity digital air pressure gauge to use when inflating your tires.
And yes, it can simply be a question about soft sidewalls, poor directional stability and poor traction, and there is nothing you can do about that. Replace with a better tire.

Don't forget what you are driving. It's a big domestic SUV. Crisp and sharp handling is not ecxatly high on the list. If it's anything like a 2010/2011 Burb or Tahoe, it's a soft and spongy ride without much feedback. Want handling in an SUV, get a Range Rover or Cayenne ect.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 12-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.