Notices

A Towing question

Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrgoog
I am going to upgrade my trailer to it this year. I have surge hydraulic disc brakes right now and whenever I go down a steep grade and use my exhaust brake to slow the truck and trailer down the surge brakes activate and heat the rotors and rims up. I also want to ability to control the amount of braking from inside the truck with my brake controller box. It will also be nice to have trailer brakes when backing down some of the steep boat ramps vs no braking that I have right now.
All right on the money. EoH is worth every penny. And surge brakes only work when the truck and trailer are in a straight line. You have virtually no braking when you turn, swerve, or change lanes.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
All right on the money. EoH is worth every penny. And surge brakes only work when the truck and trailer are in a straight line. You have virtually no braking when you turn, swerve, or change lanes.
or backing down a ramp......(this one's important)..
Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill: You will not need sway control if everything is set up right and with 3 axles. That formula should track straight. If not then something is wrong.

Wannabe
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Update - tow completed

Here's an update on the tow I made last weekend and why I originally made this post: Last weekend I made the tow - from Maine to the Philly area, about 450 miles - Formula 353, 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, 2009 Venture alum. trailer. I had no problems, other than the trailer brakes (surge on all six wheels) did not provide the stopping power they should have. I am investigating. Supposedly the brake system was bled before I picked the boat up. The trailer looks like new by the way, very lightly used. Once I confirmed reasonable handling, I cruised at 65 mph giving myself a lot of space to the vehicle in front of me. Got 13.8 mpg for the tow according to the onboard computer which is somewhat optimistic. All in all, I'm pleased, but I'll fix the brake problem before I make any more tows.

-Bill
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill: Glad the tow went OK. Always leave your self plenty of room when towing. My big frustration in towing is I get the people who pass me on the highway then cut in front of me to make an exit causing me to slam on my brakes.

Wannabe
Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by billpor930
Here's an update on the tow I made last weekend and why I originally made this post: Last weekend I made the tow - from Maine to the Philly area, about 450 miles - Formula 353, 2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, 2009 Venture alum. trailer. I had no problems, other than the trailer brakes (surge on all six wheels) did not provide the stopping power they should have. I am investigating. Supposedly the brake system was bled before I picked the boat up. The trailer looks like new by the way, very lightly used. Once I confirmed reasonable handling, I cruised at 65 mph giving myself a lot of space to the vehicle in front of me. Got 13.8 mpg for the tow according to the onboard computer which is somewhat optimistic. All in all, I'm pleased, but I'll fix the brake problem before I make any more tows.

-Bill
Glad to hear it went good. Definitely check the brakes. My Venture trailer pulls way better than my custom Heritage trailer that was matched to my last boat and the brakes on the Venture stop on a dime. If you've got brakes on all 3 axles, that trailer was likely made optioned out.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pull a 342 Baja fully loaded, with a 2500HD GMC. Lifted on 35's it does great.

could use some extra braking, as my loadmaster trailer only has the front axle with brakes.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

Glad to hear your rig towed good! I knew it would, and the more you tow the more you will get used to it, and like it! Your truck will start to be sad when its not hooked up!

Enjoy!