Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any car racers need a unique and historic hauler? >

Any car racers need a unique and historic hauler?

Notices

Any car racers need a unique and historic hauler?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any car racers need a unique and historic hauler?

In the interest of full disclosure, I currently own this. It is the very first stainless hauler built for Penske Racing, and was my winter project as a mechanic in the winter of 1993/4. Designed by Larry Shinoda, this trailer set new standards for race haulers and established the iconic stainless and black look still associated with Penske Racing. Over the years, it served as both the primary race transporter and as the Test team's operations truck. It hosted such drivers as Rick Mears, Al Unser Sr, Danny Sullivan, Emerson Fittipaldi, Al Unser Jr, Jackie Stewart, Scott Sharp, Ayrton Senna and other luminaries including George Harrison. To this point, this is the only one of these trailers ever to enter private ownership. All the sponsor decals have long been removed.

Further details are listed here: 1984 48' Great Dane
Attached Thumbnails Any car racers need a unique and historic hauler?-trailer.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
In the interest of full disclosure, I currently own this. It is the very first stainless hauler built for Penske Racing, and was my winter project as a mechanic in the winter of 1993/4. Designed by Larry Shinoda, this trailer set new standards for race haulers and established the iconic stainless and black look still associated with Penske Racing. Over the years, it served as both the primary race transporter and as the Test team's operations truck. It hosted such drivers as Rick Mears, Al Unser Sr, Danny Sullivan, Emerson Fittipaldi, Al Unser Jr, Jackie Stewart, Scott Sharp, Ayrton Senna and other luminaries including George Harrison. To this point, this is the only one of these trailers ever to enter private ownership. All the sponsor decals have long been removed.

Further details are listed here: 1984 48' Great Dane
Are you selling it?

Either way, your trailer is SUPER SWEET! Looks like you did great work on it. Any of us would love to own it! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. Something about trailers always excites me. Even when I was a kid my hot wheels pulled trailers, and when I drove the riding mower around for fun I had to hook up the trailer or the fishing boat and practice backing up!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

The trailer is currently located at High Tech Performance Trailers near Cleveland. Clicking on the "1984 48" Great Dane" link will take you to their site with additional pictures and details. It is a piece of rolling history, and very much for sale at a killer price.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeeze Chuck.....I dont know if thats cool enough for my race car.......joke

we used to see that (or one just like it) at the Molson Indy every year in the heyday of CART.....we're like WOW!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

That was our race trailer through about 1988, so - yes; you have seen it. The cool part was working with Larry Shinoda while it was being designed. A very cool guy: Larry Shinoda
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C-Spray: Larry was a tremendous auto designer and was the driving force behind the 63 Split window vette. Truly he was in a world of his own, we miss him in Detroit. I know who built that Penske hauler, they actually built several. Penske used them on the Indy car circuit.

Wannabe
Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
C-Spray: Larry was a tremendous auto designer and was the driving force behind the 63 Split window vette. Truly he was in a world of his own, we miss him in Detroit. I know who built that Penske hauler, they actually built several. Penske used them on the Indy car circuit.

Wannabe
Larry also designed the '69-70 Boss Mustangs....
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

If you're at all interested, or know someone who might be, call now. Interest is starting to grow as the races season nears...
Old 02-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
That was our race trailer through about 1988, so - yes; you have seen it. The cool part was working with Larry Shinoda while it was being designed. A very cool guy: Larry Shinoda
VERY COOL GUY He gave me an interview in 1995 when i was in college @ Northwood University the guys from Classic Design Concepts in Walled Lake MI set me up with him. was a project for my automotive classes