Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
No Cell Phone Use for DOT Carriers >

No Cell Phone Use for DOT Carriers

Notices

No Cell Phone Use for DOT Carriers

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by charliem
How about a $14,000 seat belt ticket?
How about a $14,000 smoking violation ticket?
How about a $14,000 ticket for having a head light out?
How about a $14,000 ticket for running 1 mph over?
How about a $14,000 ticket for tailgating?
How about a $100,000 fine for driving slow in the left land?

All of these are just as dangerous as talking on a cell phone while driving.(some of them more dangerous)
I agree. I think what charlie is trying to say is, the original post is about the Commercial driver new law. While I think the law is a GOOD idea, I dont feel the fines are fair, neither to the driver or the company.

There's a suburb of chicago here that proposed a BAN on eating while driving. How about banning Ipods and am/fm radios while we are at it. Like these guys sitting at a red light with the stereo so F'N loud they couldnt hear a fighter jet pass by them 10 ft away, let alone a fire truck or police siren.

Factory navigation systems wont allow you to mess with them unless the vehicle is in park. Probably wont be long until you wont be able to listen to the radio or change the channel unless your in park too.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how long do you think it will be before somone makes a CB hand mike looking cell phone ?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Like these guys sitting at a red light with the stereo so F'N loud they couldnt hear a fighter jet pass by them 10 ft away, let alone a fire truck or police siren.

Originally Posted by ROADHOG
If they we're to ban Coffee and Hamburgers while driving .....Like I said in another post I have had more Ketchup and mustard dropped on my lap while driving than dropped phone calls.
You need to go on a DIET anyways !!!

Hope you have adjustable sliding seats on your new Renegade LOL !!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Downtown42

You need to go on a DIET anyways !!!

Hope you have adjustable sliding seats on your new Renegade LOL !!!!!
As long as I can keep passing he DOT physical the government says I'm in good shape. I can drive a truck with HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE and have a heart attack and that is ok,but if I have a heart attack while driving and I use my phone to call for help they will issue me a citation even though I was calling for assistance!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Like these guys sitting at a red light with the stereo so F'N loud they couldnt hear a fighter jet pass by them 10 ft away, let alone a fire truck or police siren.
I used to have fun with those guys in my old K5 blazer....had a "tuned up" Cobra CB radio with a "kicker box"
broadcast a little feedback when right next to them and watch how fast they can turn the volume down!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ROADHOG;3593769]Been a CDL driver for more years than most of the members been alive. Trucking industry has always been a easy mark for revenue and government intervention. Why not just ban all electrical devices for motor vehicles of all type and be done with it. If you we're to go after one segment of society for something and not all they call it DISCRIMITATION !!!!QUOTE]

Completely Agree. Ban it all
Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
I drive around 140k a year in my rig and I've seen it all, but the most annoying thing is someone dragging ass in the center lane talking on the cell phone. What is it with people and they're ability to drive while talking?

I personally think it's a great idea now they could really solve they money issues in some of these states if they'd crack down on the auto drivers talking and text'n on the phone while driving.
This. I've been driving for 53 years and it's still hard to talk on the phone and drive at the same time, especially in town or heavy traffic on the Interstate. I wish I had a train horn to blast them when I see them driving with their head down.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ROADHOG
I'm not arguing the point of safety. I'm arguing the point as to what government decides is acceptable while driving and what is not. If they we're to ban Coffee and Hamburgers while driving watch the Fast Food Lobby's shut that law down. Like I said in another post I have had more Ketchup and mustard dropped on my lap while driving than dropped phone calls.
Sometimes I eat while driving but I tell them no tomato or lettuce on the burger so it won't drip that stuff on me. The key for me is to keep the burger and fries where I can get to them without taking my eyes off the road.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did our biennial FMCSA 150 update today and there was an error on it that we missed.. Finally able to reach someone on the phone and guess what, barely spoke any english.. 3 days til deadline and can't find an english speaking rep to tell us what we can do.. Amazing.. DOT is worthless.. Just like this stupid law.. We may end up going back to radio setups so we can actually TALK to one of our drivers while they are working..
Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Just did our biennial FMCSA 150 update today and there was an error on it that we missed.. Finally able to reach someone on the phone and guess what, barely spoke any english.. 3 days til deadline and can't find an english speaking rep to tell us what we can do.. Amazing.. DOT is worthless.. Just like this stupid law.. We may end up going back to radio setups so we can actually TALK to one of our drivers while they are working..
I agree the FMCSA DOT is worthless. Try quizzing one of the phone reps on a law and find out how much they DO NOT know. But they sure know how to take our money! Sad how worthless the phone reps are though....

My first and last phone call was to make sure they recieved my updated insurance on file, what a joke. Long story short, I use the SAFER system website now. Not perfect either but....