Notices

Towing with a esclade ext

Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike: It really depends on how far you are towing. If it's 3 miles to a ramp, then your chances of having an issue are minimal. If you are going to LOTO which is 700 miles, then you are taking a big risk. If you get into an accident while towing the insurance agent is going to ask: " was the load within your tow ratings?" The answer is NO. It's that simple. You can take the risk. The EXT will pull the boat, no question. If you drive sanely about 60 mph on the highway you will get about 8 mpg and barring anything bad happening you will be fine.

That's the simpke nuts and bolts. We have seen it time and time again a guy gets shafted by his insurance provider because that's what they do- take the easy way out.

Wannabe

PS. I tow my Chris Cat with an Avalance 2500- rated to pull 12,000 lbs.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Baldwin
Thank for all the info but it doest sound like you guys like my idea
new EXT does 7600lbs. My 29 weighs 7k dry without trailer and fluid so Im assuming that 35 probably comes in another 5-800lbs heaver plus trailer. Easily a 10-11k load. I wouldnt do it.

But Im not going to lie up here Ive have seen more 1/2 tons tow boats between 30-35ft than diesels. There are two 33 outlaws up here being towed with early 2000's tahoes, seem em all the time.

It comes down to legal and safety. A 20,000lb tractor can tow 80,000lbs so why cant a 6k truck tow a 11k lb boat. I dont know. But its the law and what is safe I gues
Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

http://www.cadillac.com/escalade-ext-luxury-truck.html

Wish I had money to piss on a 63k truck at base price.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My concern would be the soft ride and brakes on the Caddy. Some will say yes, some no. I'm the latter. I like the thought of too much rather than too little. Read the RIP Sonic thread, that was with a Tahoe. The soft suspension won't help stability in windy conditions and if you have to steer clear of an obstackle in a hurry. Look into EOH brakes for the trailer, you will easily be up in the 12k range fully loaded with a 35' boat. The combo of surge brakes and the stock Caddy brakes are not up for the task imo. It will be hard on the tranny too. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but take other motorists into consideration as well.

Imo, not the right car for the job.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Baldwin
Thank for all the info but it doest sound like you guys like my idea
I think most are looking for more info. A 35 Fountain and a 35 Cafe Racer (86 Cig in your signature) must weigh about 3,000 lbs. different. Towing 5-10 miles vs across state lines also makes a huge difference in what advice I'd give.

For 2 years I towed a 31 Formula (similar to a 35 Fountain weight) with a 2500 Suburban without too much issue but you knew it was back there. Going to a 38 Formula (similar to a cafe racer weight) was a white knuckle ride in that suburban. So much so I literally had sweaty palms after a 30 mile tow to the ramp. 6 weeks later I bought a dually.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

My 2006 Denali with a 6.0l wouldn't go 150 miles on a full tank of gas while towing my boat. Towed a 39 hustler like it was two jet skis as well. Seat of the pants has to count for something.
Sorry, but gotta call BS on this one. I had a 2006 Denali XL with the 6.0L, 3.73 gears, and factory 20's. My boat/trailer/gear tip the scales at 8K lbs. and you definitely knew the boat was back there. Stock brakes were barely adequate with the 20's and no towing. Lost my trailer brakes coming down an off-ramp in Hannibal, Mo. heading to LOTO and damn near couldn't get stopped without creaming the car in front of me at the light. Completely ruined the rotors and pads in seconds.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
My concern would be the soft ride and brakes on the Caddy. Some will say yes, some no. I'm the latter. I like the thought of too much rather than too little. Read the RIP Sonic thread, that was with a Tahoe. The soft suspension won't help stability in windy conditions and if you have to steer clear of an obstackle in a hurry. Look into EOH brakes for the trailer, you will easily be up in the 12k range fully loaded with a 35' boat. The combo of surge brakes and the stock Caddy brakes are not up for the task imo. It will be hard on the tranny too. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, but take other motorists into consideration as well.

Imo, not the right car for the job.
Great post.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

People like to always think bigger truck means better stopping but that is not always true. On a bigger trucks you have bigger brakes but you are also stopping a bigger vehicle. I am not an engineer but I would guess the stopping power per pound or however you want to gauage is pretty similar,

braking should be done with your load not the truck. If you had bad brakes and rubber your wrong from the start. The trailer should stop you not the other way around.

Last edited by soldier4402; 02-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus you haven't mentioned what "35ft boat" your going to be pulling, is it the Cafe?. But either way, will be too much. If your in a dry marina or quick storage where like others said it's like a ride down the street to the ramp, ok (you still never know, someone could hit or cut you off if a few miles down the road and you could be screwed b/c of the laws).... but if your talking longer distance towing, no way. For one thing the brakes on those trucks like already mentioned are soft and weak even if your trailer has brakes, and the suspension is very soft as well, you could hit some dips in the road or dumps and start wallowing like a whale with that weight behind you etc. But if you have to do any quick maneuvers, you never know what could happen. It's not a problem of the engine tranny being able to pull, it's the rest of the truck.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 02-29-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
People like to always think bigger truck means better stopping but that is not always true. On a bigger trucks you have bigger brakes but you are also stopping a bigger vehicle. I am not an engineer but I would guess the stopping power per pound or however you want to gauage is pretty similar,

braking should be done with your load not the truck. If you had bad brakes and rubber your wrong from the start. The trailer should stop you not the other way around.
My 2004 2500HD DMax had way more braking power than the 2006 Denali did. No comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.