Notices

Towing with a esclade ext

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a esclade ext

has anyone towed a 35foot boat with a cadillac esclade ext i know i will be a little over wieght and i would like to know if anyone has done it before
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Mike the simple answer is yes and yes. However you need to provide more information on what you are towing. Tow Rating is not dependent on length but weight and other variables as well. Read through some of the other towing threads on the forum and gather some background information... as you would expect there are some real towing experts on this site.

Above all remember, if you are towing anything which exceeds the max tow rating of your vehicle and you get in an accident, good luck, your insurance will be worthless to you, not to mention the liablilty you will incur if you injure someone in the process.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

if its a 35 cafe racer then your way over weight for one and your license plates will be under rated unless you have b plates on the truck and d plates on the trailer for combined weight...if you can get someone with a dually to tow the boat to your marina and pay to keep it their then use your truck to just launch the boat then you shouldnt have any problems..

p.s. also make sure your reciever is a solid one rated for 10.000 + pounds,, i see a trucks pulling a heavy load all the time with the kmart special hollow reciever and the wrong sive ball to fit the hole..if you saw what i have seen what a heavy load does to your whimpy frame you would think twice about towing it long distasnce

Last edited by FIXX; 02-28-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend that tows his 2004 38 lightning with a Newer style Escalade. The newer models have a more powerful engine with a 6 speed transmission.

My 2006 Denali with a 6.0l wouldn't go 150 miles on a full tank of gas while towing my boat. Towed a 39 hustler like it was two jet skis as well. Seat of the pants has to count for something.

I am not sure what is used for tow ratings, but many modifications can be made to every day "super" half tons to do the job. I disagree with many on this site that think you need an F550 to tow a 35 fountian. Trailer and ## distribution are a big factor as well. EOH brakes sometimes help. And in this state insurance does cover driver stupidity, especially if you have a loss payee involved.

You are not towing every day, you may not be towing far, and you are not towing for hire....right?

I can't get over how an 80 year old man buys a pusher motor home, tows is SUV behind it, all with a class m basic license.

Oh, and I agree if it is the 86 Cig get a big truck, old thick glass never seems to tow well.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I own a Escalade EXT and would not tow anything that big. No suspension and certainly not the brakes. Dangerous and illegal. It has a powerful engine is the only plus. It is more car like than a truck. It is a 1/2 ton chassis that is mush. Matter of fact I am going to sell mine as I not comfortable pulling even a 30 boat with it. Going back to a dually. The Cadillac Escalade EXT is a great luxury "car" with a pickup bed in the back.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

If you've got a Cafe Racer you have no business towing it behind an escalade.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I towed my 84 scarab (9500lb) once with my 07 avalanche. I think the escalade has like 900lb more tow capacity then the avalance but did it tow it, yes. It actually towed pretty good but it was a one time thing and wouldn't do it frequently!

I now tow with a square body 1 ton dually!!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Default Towing by the numbers

Originally Posted by Mike Baldwin
has anyone towed a 35foot boat with a cadillac esclade ext i know i will be a little over wieght and i would like to know if anyone has done it before
Check out the numbers in this link. Remember, it's all good until it goes bad! Lot's of YouTube video's to show you what bad looks like. It's up to you if you want to make your own video.

http://www.vehix.com/car-reviews/201...specifications
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

There are alot of modifications that you can do to a vehicle; bigger brakes, stiffer springs, more power. The problem is that the frame will still only be rated for a certain weight. And eventhough the mods will make a difference in real world towing capabilities, the number printed on the tow rating for your vehicle ultimately is the deciding factor. As stated before, if or when things go wrong, that will decide how much trouble you are in or if your insurance will cover it.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Registered

Thank for all the info but it doest sound like you guys like my idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.