Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Interested in getting into transportation some questions >

Interested in getting into transportation some questions

Notices

Interested in getting into transportation some questions

Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in getting into transportation some questions

Thinking about putting my truck to work How much interest is there for it? How much are people paying or charging for transport? does the price change depending on boat size our just mileage
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Major headache, insurance is through the roof, fuel prices are through the roof, people want you to do it for so cheap you can barely pay your expenses!!! Not worth the wear and tear on your equipment!!!!

On the positive side you get to see alot of great places and equipment!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres two way of going about this. You either do things under the table and have less overhead in insurance and such but risk your livelyhood. Or you do it by the book and have insurance and DOT stickers and have high cost.

What I reccomend is this. Get the proper insurance and DOT certication from there look at local hauls there are lots of people that go from home to dock or storage to dock that need trans.

Starting up a new business these days is very tough. Especially when you are doing something that is already out there. The number of companies dwindling is getting bigger and bigger. First things first is see what the cost is on insurance and being bonded, and what DOT stickers cost. Then coduct some marketing research to see if you can be successful. Also if you look at some of these companies online that move boats, cars, and such they hire out contract work in different areas. Might check that.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

I will differently get the insurance thought about getting hired on. What do people charge to do this
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Fee's can be 1.00-2.75/mi depending who gets the load and if there is a haul back- no deadhead.

Boat Trader will give estimated U-Ship costs for various distances booked.

ie: 35 Baja from Sarasota to LosAngeles CA

http://www.uship.com/price_estimator...34243&z2=90067
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

Its a good way to get in allot of trouble. Lots of half a$$ shippers cutting the rates. Very hard to make a living if you do it legally. If you run half legal you can make a buck but you're way down the food chain just starting out. If you have a wife and family forget it.
Just sayin
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Originally Posted by blackta
Thinking about putting my truck to work How much interest is there for it? How much are people paying or charging for transport? does the price change depending on boat size our just mileage
Look my insurance totally legal for everything pushes like 1500/mo

That's truck full coverage
2 mill G/L
500k Cargo

Then you have expenses which can cost you alot depending on your equipment!!

Personally it costs me roughly 1.00/mile for my equipment to sit in the driveway so hauling for a buck a mile you're already losing money!!!! I will be happy to give you all the spreadsheets if you want them...but if I have to survive off of boat hauling I would starve to death!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 91 Posts

Do you have a family? If so then please don't start. You will end up spending more nights on the road then at home.

Most people do not realize how much driving empty adds up. A load that pays xxx a mile ends up paying x a mile after dead heading between loads, or empty just to get home for the weekend!

The business WILL work if

YOU make it #1 in your life for at least 3 to 5 years, Not part time, not a side job

YOU are the best in the biz

YOU have LOTS of money for start up cost, more then you think you need, very low debt, etc. Even more then the amount that just went through your head! lol!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Do you have a family? If so then please don't start. You will end up spending more nights on the road then at home.

Most people do not realize how much driving empty adds up. A load that pays xxx a mile ends up paying x a mile after dead heading between loads, or empty just to get home for the weekend!

YOU make it #1 in your life for at least 3 to 5 years, Not part time, not a side job

YOU have LOTS of money for start up cost, more then you think you need, very low debt, etc. Even more then the amount that just went through your head! lol!

You are very correct sir!!!!

BTW you forgot the part where they need to plan on sleeping in your vehicle and using truck stop showers!!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sean stinson
Major headache, insurance is through the roof, fuel prices are through the roof, people want you to do it for so cheap you can barely pay your expenses!!! Not worth the wear and tear on your equipment!!!!

On the positive side you get to see alot of great places and equipment!!!
Originally Posted by offshorexcursion

By the sounds of it you're looking to run hotshot in your personal pickup. That will make sleeping on the road even that much more difficult without a sleeper.

Some good information has been given. But there is a lot more to trucking/transportation than just hooking up and making money. Insurance is the biggest expense and insurance will be very high at first if you have no experience. Next big expense is fuel which changes daily and by region. Then you'll have your USDOT and MC numbers along with additional registration fees in states like New York, Kentucky, New Mexico and a few others. Then you have to keep track of your IFTA fuel and possibly pay additional in fuel taxes if you operated in states that have higher "road and use" taxation than in the state that you filled up in. You'll also need to be part of a random drug testing consortium so that you comply with the DOT rules to drive for hire. As a new carrier you'll need to have a DOT inspection of your equipment and paperwork before they give you the authority and there will be a 12 month follow up inspection to ensure your logs and equipment are still in compliance. I am sure there is more that I am missing but these are the big ticket items.

There is a ton involved to drive for hire, or at least drive for hire in accordance with the DOT. If you are still interested and want to move forward I would suggest joining the OOIDA http://www.ooida.com/ As a member they have services that can help you get through all this. This will not happen over night.

For the record I "once" owned a trucking company, I started the operation one year before Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We all know what fuel did that year and I just couldn't up. Lucky for me I got out just before the Class 8 trucks values took a nose dive!

Hope this helps and good luck.