Notices

any one have cdls??

Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default any one have cdls??

anyone have cdls around here ??

we just bought a business where im gonna have to get em now to drive the delevery trucks that come with it

i used to work at a fleet service shop on big trucks and know about the dot inspections etc at the time they wanted me to take the cdl on there coin i never did though.. i did however get the dot psychel which is now expiried and know i have to get that again already got my paper work i have to preregister what class liscense

anyone have any pointers on the oral/paper test and the driving test im pretty sure ill do ok kinda lil nervous as i know i have to have them as we got to get busy and make some money

also anyone close to louisville ky as im gonna have to have a liscense cdl driver take me to the driving test willing to pay reasonable for that
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a class A CDL in Illinois. In Illinois, they supply an instruction manual when you apply to take the test. All the written questions were
explained clearly in the manual. If you read the manual carefully, you should do fine.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered

yes same here i know some poeple down this way that used to have them years ago im amazed they had them as they where a few idiots barely drive a car couldnt imagine them driving a truck.lol
much less knowing anything technical about the one they would have drove
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jason y
yes same here i know some poeple down this way that used to have them years ago im amazed they had them as they where a few idiots barely drive a car couldnt imagine them driving a truck.lol
much less knowing anything technical about the one they would have drove

only difference i see between the A and B cdl is the trailer weight

we will have tandem straight trucks with airbrakes we will also have a airbrake trailer tandem but i have to do some work to that later down the road for it to even pass so im assuming i just need to go for a B cdl for straight truck then later go back with trailer

is there much difference in the test on the A or B with out a trailer at first ??
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In New Jersey its the same written test for A & B I think all states are the same but I have had mine for a while. The written when I took it was the sample questions in the book. I would just get an A with air brake endorsement, that way you do not have to go back. Thats also if you have driven a tractor trailer, you will also need to borrow a truck because you only have strait trucks. If you can not borrow a tractor trailer you may just have to get a B.

On the road test the make a big deal about the pre trip. You can use a check list (at least I did) use it because you have to mention everything. Its not hard you will be fine.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

yea i think the questions etc are in the book as what i have read on the net about ky

as far as the driving i can hanlde that but you know how they want it done there way or no way ..

as far as pre trip my last employer said all i need to do is touch everything and state what im looking for and why he said after a few things guy will prolly ask me if i work on em or why im gettin em and say lets move on to next part

if asked to back up did any of you all get out and look around the back for objects .. or did you just state thats what you would do ?? kinda wondering about that
Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered

Thats also if you have driven a tractor trailer, you will also need to borrow a truck because you only have strait trucks. If you can not borrow a tractor trailer you may just have to get a B.

we also already have a tractor but it has a few flaws AGRICULTURE USE im thinkin about renting a truck to take it or going over the straight trucks to see what kinda shape everything is
Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jason y
Thats also if you have driven a tractor trailer, you will also need to borrow a truck because you only have strait trucks. If you can not borrow a tractor trailer you may just have to get a B.

we also already have a tractor but it has a few flaws AGRICULTURE USE im thinkin about renting a truck to take it or going over the straight trucks to see what kinda shape everything is
Might have changed but you can fail the truck on the pre- test and still take the road test. I took mine with a full garbage truck, the truck that I was supposed to borrow was not there. It was the biggest piece of crap I every drove.

As for the road test you had to do some turns back up in a strait line and simulate backing up to a dock, doing a pull up first. I don't think you can get out and look but I did not ask. Its really no big deal if you have driven trucks before.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Registered

Default fixx

does any of your straight trucks have a hitch with air brake hook up? a friend of mine got his cdl with his dads 6 wheeler and a tag trailer with air brakes..it was about 8 yrs ago and dont know if it applys to your state or not but it may be worth asking if that combo will do the trick..
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Here is a good practice test site I used a while back.
http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.