Notices

CDL for Trailers over 10,000

Old 03-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I just got off the phone with an Illinois State Police Staff Sargent. These guys live and die by the Illinois Vehicle Code (IVC). He told me a few help full hints:

1) CDL stands for Commercial Drivers License, not the ability to drive a truck.
2) If you are not making money at the lake with you boat your are privet and not for hire. Therefore NO CDL is required.
3) If you exceed the weight/length restrictions of your rig/boat and trailer you will need to get a Class A, B, or C, non CDL. Otherwise know as a class A, B, or C, license as he so eloquently stated.
4) If you are using a Towterhome with air brakes titled as an RV you DO NOT need an air brake endorsement, all you need is the correct license classification. Also, if you pull though a scale you will most likely piss off the cops working the scale as you are not required to stop and now holding up the line of drivers that are required to stop.

I have a 41' Renegade with RV plates and carry a non-CDL class B. The two times I pulled through the scales I was verry sternly advised to bypass the scale next time.

He ended the conversation by saying most other states should be the same as these laws are DOT laws and not just IDOT. But I should check with the states vehicle code that we would be passing through before embarking on a interstate journey.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to the trouble of getting a different license for an upgraded class, why not get a class A CDL and be done with it?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is the wunderful state of california we have a Recreational A. It allows driving school and standard points for a ticket, however boats do not qualify as a rv! The term "carrier" applies to your trailer and the CHP does not care if it is a boat sitting on it. I have told the scales to pull me over and ticket me. I will have a great time illustrating to a judge that my wife and my chihuahua will not be travelling across country filling out logbooks and stopping at scales. Its been two years since this took place and no ticket. I will get a non commercial A, no sweat but never a commercial, too many rules
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driver License Confusion

Let me help you out folks....
Two categories of Driver license
1. Commercial driver license-required when operator is driving a vehicle defined as a Commercial Motor Vehicle:
A. single unit GVWR or combined (power unit + towed unit GVWR in excess of 26000 lb. GVWR or actual weight or
B. required to display Hazardous Materials/Dangerous Goods placards or
C. carrying 16 or more passengers (including driver).

2. Non-CDL

Classes of CDL and Non-CDL and authorized vehicle(s) types:
Class A: power unit + towed unit (GVWR 10000 lb. or more) with combined GVWR or actual weight in excess of 26000 lb.; class B vehicle; class C vehicle.
Class B: power unit + towed unit (GVWR under 10000 lb.) with combined GVWR or actual weight in excess of 26000 lb., single unit with GVWR or actual weight in excess of 26000 lb., class C vehicle.
Class C: any single unit or combined unit with GVWR or combined GVWR under 26000 lb.

When determining the difference between CDL and non-CDL, you must ask "is the vehicle operated in commerce?" The typical recreational boat puller is not in commerce. therefore, a non-CDL of appropriate class is required. Commerce is defined as: "Am I trying to make a buck (ex. ABC racing, ABC marine boat sales, etc.)?

The downside for a recreational boater to maintain a CDL is:
1. you may be subject to drug/alcohol testing program
2. you may be subject to DOT medical certification requirements
3. you cannot attend a driving safety course for ticket dismissal purposes.

Recreational boaters should check with your home jurisdiction to determine if you qualify for a class A non-CDL.
I hold a Texas class A non-CDL to satisfy the GVWR and actual weight requirements using a F350 and trailer with GVWR of 15000 lb.

I hope this information is helpful to all......