Notices

2001 F350 DRW Rear Diff Work.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 F350 DRW Rear Diff Work.

I need someone in the Philadelphia area who can rebuild my rear diff. Truck has 180K on it and theres a cricking noise when you back up- SOMETIMES! The truck also won't go into drive after backing up- SOMETIMES! I heard that theres a speed sensor in the rear diff that could be failing that won't let the truck go into gear? If I kick off the OD botton it will go into forward and after driving for a bit it will all work normal again. I know the trans might be going too but I want to get the rear done first to see how many of the symptoms are solved first. Does anyone know of a good Ford truck mechanic in the Philly area? I might have him replace the ring and pinion while he's in there too? OR SHOULD I JUST TAKE IT TO THE DEALER?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

don't go to the dealer, the monkey's there probably dont have a clue, replace the speed sensor and see if there are any trans codes
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

try car-part.com. you need tag number and ratio. there are several on there 500 to 2 grand complete rears. at least it gets you an idea of what is around and how much.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

rear dif sensor is ontop of the rearend. 1 lil bolt holds it in and it slips right out. cheap part from the parts store...
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

if its not whining then i wouldnt fixx it,,have the fluid changed,add posi additive if its a posi and change the sensor like mentioned..piece of cake! and yes if that sensor has any metal on it it just may need to be cleaned but foras cheap as it is i would just go ahead and replace it..Btw be careful when removing it,they sometimes brake off and the sensor gets stuck in the housing..

Last edited by FIXX; 03-29-2012 at 09:36 PM.