Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Broke the rear end in my avalanche >

Broke the rear end in my avalanche

Notices

Broke the rear end in my avalanche

Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Broke the rear end in my avalanche

Yup it's broken, took the pumpkin cover off today to find this. Been making a lot of noise for two weeks, now I know why!!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a little jb weld and u will be back in business,just kidding,that sucks,how many miles on it
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
a little jb weld and u will be back in business,just kidding,that sucks,how many miles on it
Actually 135,000 not so easy miles!

Putting an Eaton tru-trac in it. It's been making a lot of noise but I still drove it everyday to work(65 miles each way). Just glad it didn't grenade while on the highway!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

yep,,comon problem and have done my fair share of them..same here with the eaton replacement..i have also used the auburn which is a little more stout and the run out is a little tighter compared to the eaton..
Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I own a business rebuilding transmissions and rear ends, I have NOT had great results with Truetracs in gm 8.5" rear ends. I have seen HUNDREDS of factory "g80 locker option" gov locks fail in all gm applications from 8.5's to the duramax rear ends. I am a jobber customer for randies ring and pinion, I had 2 of the 10 or so True tracs I sold and installed fail. They do work very smooth on the road but both that failed were behind stock vortec power. Spent the money to send the first one back, because I loosened up the bolts to see that it actually was broke (you couldn't see it when it was still assembled) warranty DENIED. The second one I sent back but was just outside the warranty period so I got screwed again. I have also found the aurburn cone posis to be total junk also. The Eaton clutch type 8.5's are GREAT rear ends though, have sold at least 100 of them in past 10+ years, have NEVER had one break behind stock power BUt they do drive harsh and spool up on real slippery surfaces, good luck, Smitty
Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
yep,,comon problem and have done my fair share of them..same here with the eaton replacement..i have also used the auburn which is a little more stout and the run out is a little tighter compared to the eaton..
You must be refering to the Auburn "pro's" , the earlier Auburn pre-pros seemed to burn out the first time a customer spun the tires on a un-even surface, Smitty