Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
aluminum VS steel boat trailer ? pros-cons >

aluminum VS steel boat trailer ? pros-cons

Notices

aluminum VS steel boat trailer ? pros-cons

Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My aluminum trailer floats as well, my wife and I have a system where she backs it in just before it starts to float and I just nose the boat on then she backs it the rest of the way in. I keep meaning to bolt about 100lbs to it but I don't think of it every time the boat is off the trailer. The first time was a bit unnerving, I thought my wife didn't even look where she backed it in.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well there are some good points to this thread i am looking for a trailer for my 42 ft lightning if any one hears of one for a half decent price and its not posted on the oso classifieds i would love to know as i say i am in fresh water and never really plan on going in salt water a steel one would work just fine but would like a aluminum one
Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

IMHO, New is new and Used is used. The longer one can keep anything looking new, the better it is appreciated.

That said, since messing around with the pontoon boats, the pontoon tubes take on an early Used look, early in life. The solution was to sand and polish the visible parts, then coat those parts with a product called "Sharkhide". ( There appears to be are other similar products for coating Aluminum. )

The Bennington owners forum has pictures of pontoon boats that have been treated with that product. The testimonies were convincing and encouraging enough that we tried it and it seems to work.

Since then it has occurred, Aluminum wheels are typically coated with something that is impossible to remove.....DUH, 3M was Googled for an Aluminum coating.....Sure enough, they have it.

While there has not been any reason to explore the 3M product or pricing further, I would guess, private labelers are buying from someone like 3M and re-packaging, at a profitable margin.

Moral of the story, subject to owning an Aluminum trailer, I would recommend exploring a coating. A new trailer would be easy, a used trailer may require at least a harsh pressure wash. Whereas, the coating is clear, what you see before coating is what you get, after coating, maybe with more gloss.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Another thing to consider is the type of construction of a steel trailer. An open C channel trailer like Loadmaster will last considerably longer than a rec tube build that will rot from the inside out.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aluminum is nice, I've never owned one. I prefer steel. They look better to me & part of boating is looking good.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The floating aluminum trailers depend on some variables. I have a dual axle aluminum that floats, under my 242 LS Formula. Steel wheels will help lower buoyancy and bunks that are not wood. With Cypress bunks and aluminum wheels my trailer floats but I could make changes if it was a problem.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a steel painted trailer with six chrome wheels, painted and striped to match my boat when I owned a 26'10" ChrisCraft Stinger. I would NEVER go painted steel again! As I live on an island in Puget Sound I actually spent more time "trying" to keep up the trailer than it took me to wash and keep up the boat. I lost to the effects of salt after less than five years. I now have a Venture aluminum trailer, again with triples and aluminum wheels (for my 29' Fountain). It does not float. I do wash it by hand as soon as I pull it out of the water (I live less than 2 miles from the launch ramp) and I use detail wax on the wheels which look like new. I like the weight of the trailer and would go aluminum again if I get a bigger boat. JMO
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I just went through this very thing... when I bought my boat it had a great looking steel trailer under it. Got home and had to make some tongue modifications and when I cut the coupler off the trailer a double hand full of rust fell out! It was a enclosed channel trailer with a brand new shiny paint job. Just about rusted apart from the inside. Got a hammer and started pecking at welds and paint fell off everywhere. All the rotors were frozen and 2 of the 3 axles were bent likely from rusting of the interior as they were 7k lb axles. lights were shorting out and the wires were all enclosed in the channels so you could get to anything... Needless to say I don't have that trailer any more.

Bought a brand new painted aluminum Myco so no more rust problems! The aluminum isn't any lighter than steel in a C application as the channel is bigger since the aluminum isn't as strong. I would agree with the above post completely... New is new and Used is Used!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

depends on what you do and budget. If your going to do salt then aluminum, but fresh water and or not trailering much go steel and save the cash. By boat trailer is 20 years old and besides faded paint looks just about new and its new. Guess what it does the job you dont go boating with your trailer. Now I can see weight contratings and such but a boat of that size your already almost at 10k with the boat so its not like your saving up for something.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a TopGun on a 2000 Myco, triple , galv. wheels, Use in salt water three or four time a year. Live on brackist water and keep boat on lift. My Myco does not float, tows nice. Will not never go to steel or gav. again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.